October 13, 2023
A new South Burnett cricket season is under way, with a new team also making its debut …
The Tingoora Huntsmen hit the pitch last Saturday for their first outing.
They took on their colleagues, Tingoora Vikings, at Tingoora Sportsground.
Apparently, the Vikings had so many registrations for this season the club decided to field a second team in the South Burnett Senior competition.
Sadly for the Huntsmen, it wasn’t a dream start for the 2023-24 season, with Vikings recording a 193-run victory (see results, below).
* * *
Don’t forget, Big Bash cricket legend Chris Lynn is coming to Kingaroy on Saturday (October 14).
Lynn is the BBL’s highest ever run-scorer, and finished last season with a strike rate of more than 140 runs.
He is coming to Lyle Vidler Oval thanks to a partnership between the South Burnett Regional Council and the South Burnett Cricket Association.
He’ll be hitting a few balls, and also talking about mental health.
* * *
One for the diaries … Murgon and District Cricket Club will be hosting a seven-a-side carnival at Murgon Sportsground on December 30.
First prize is $1250 for the winning team.
* * *
SB Senior Results
- Tingoora Vikings (7/304) def. Tingoora Huntsmen (111 all out) by 193 runs at Tingoora Sportsground.
Vikings’ captain Tavis Hartwig top-scored with 91 runs off 32 balls, including eight sixes and eight fours.
Michael Unverzagt also hit a handy 55 runs.
Jason Reilly (1/19 off eight overs) was the best of the Huntsmen’s bowlers.
In reply, Huntsmen were 111 all out in the 24th over.
Nate Osborne top-scored with 49.
Michael Unverzagt (3/21 off 3.2 overs) and Brad Moore (2/12 off three) did the damage for Vikings.
- Murgon Diggers (8/212) def. Nanango Scorpions (5/209) by two wickets at Alan Downie Sports Fields in Nanango.
Scorpions batted first, setting a target of 209 after their 40 overs.
Jayden Prendergast (71 not out) was the top scorer, with Rory O’Connor notching up 36.
Dylan Kapernick (2/29 off eight) and Charlie Sippel (1/34 off eight) finished with the best figures for Diggers.
Troy Litzow (43 not out), Charlie Sippel (40) and Jonathon Kapernick (39 not out) helped Murgon overcame the target in the 37th over.
Patrick McCallum (2/11 off three overs) and Angus Elford (1/9 off two) were the pick of the Nanango bowlers.
- Kingaroy Services Orange (2/92) def. Kingaroy Services Blue (91 all out) by eight wickets at Taabinga State School.
Blues were all out in the 23rd over, with Travis Bice (24) and Luke Peters (22) top scorers.
Terry Forbes (2/4 off four overs) and Joshua Fearby (2/4 off two) were deadly for Orange.
Orange overtook the target in just 12 overs.
Lachlan Watson (49 not out) and Justin Labinsky (25) were the top scorers.
Archie Black took 1/1 off one over for Blue.
- Wooroolin Warriors def. Wondai Wolves (52 all out) by nine wickets at Kingaroy State School.
Jackson (21) and R. Brown (11) were the top scorers for Wondai.
A. Kohler (3/8) and J. McDonald (2/6) were too good for the Wolves.
Noah Birch (20 not out) top scored for Wooroolin.
Lyndon Hopkins took 1/8 for Wondai.
* * *
SB Junior Results
- Stage 2 – Team 2 (5/114) def. Team 1 (8/74) by 40 runs
Team 1 innings: Darby 5, Max 5, Karl 4; Jacob 2/6, Allan 2/8 and Caleb 2/1
Team 2 innings: Caleb 17, Deagen 14, Mitch 11; Hayden 1/4, Jacksin 1/10 and Lachy 1/8
- Stage 3 – Kingaroy (2/192) def. Nanango (99 all out) by 93 runs
Kingaroy innings: Jayden Prendergast (36 not out), Joe Carney (32); Darcy Cullen (1/12)
Nanango innings: Cody Green (22), Darcy Cullen (12); Mason Fuller-Sandys (3/10) and Hudson Murphy (3/13)
* * *
Junior Rep Cricket
Top-of-the-table Toowoomba Falcons (235 all out) defeated South Burnett (151 all out) by 84 runs in Round 6 of the Under 15 Steketee Cup, played at Wondai Sportsground.
This was the last round of this competition which the Under 15s have been competing in since August.
The Junior Intercity Challenge will now start later this month.
Braidyn Scott (4/37), Theo Kelly (2/27) and Douglas Hoare (2/31) had the best bowling figures for the South Burnett in this last game.
Byron Kratzmann (61), Douglas Hoare (16) and Josh Williams (15) were the top scorers.
* * *
Gympie A Grade Results
Day 2 of Round 2 of the Gympie Two-Day competition was played last Saturday.
- Murgon Crusaders (254 all out and 6/77) def. Gympie Colts (170 all out) by 84 runs at Murgon Sportsground.
- Gympie Valleys (9/301 and 2/84) def. Wooroolin Warriors (287 all out) by 14 runs at Kozminsky Oval, Gympie.
* * *
This Weekend’s Games
- Junior cricketers will play Master Blaster games from 8:00am at Lyle Vidler Oval, Kingaroy
SB Senior Competition – Round 2 (Games start 12:30pm)
- Tingoora Huntsmen v Kingaroy Services Blues at Tingoora Sportsground
- Murgon Diggers v Wooroolin Warriors at Murgon Sportsground
- Kingaroy Services Orange v Nanango Scorpions at Taabinga State School
- Wondai Wolves v Tingoora Vikings at Wondai Sportsground
Gympie A Grade One-Day Competition – Round 1 (Games start at 12:30pm)
- Wooroolin Warriors v Gympie Royals at Kozminsky Oval, Gympie
- Murgon Crusaders v Gympie Valleys at Murgon Sportsground
[UPDATED with correction]