June 13, 2023
Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington says the axing of the Entrepreneurship Facilitators Program by the Federal Government will leave a huge gap for local small businesses.
Mrs Frecklington said the program was cut in the recent Federal Budget despite it being a popular program that was generating results.
In the South Burnett, Cherbourg and Gympie areas the program was being delivered by facilitator Jason Virtue.
southburnett.com.au has confirmed that scheduled workshops – including one at Proston Library on June 16 – will be going ahead until the end of this month.
“This program has been cut with no notice or warning and will leave a massive gap in support services for the South Burnett business community,” Mrs Frecklington said.
“Since 2019, the Entrepreneurship Facilitators Program has supported more than 670 business in the South Burnett and Gympie regions, as well as helping more than 1300 start-ups across these regions.
“They also provided free mentoring sessions and delivered workshops and events that helped people considering starting their own business.”
Kingaroy Chamber of Commerce on Industry president Damien Martoo said it was disappointing to learn that funding for the program had been cut.
“This is a blow for small business in the South Burnett because this program was working and providing tangible results,” Mr Martoo said.
“It was a hands-on, grassroots program that helped people start-up or run their small business successfully and it is such a shame it will no longer be available.”