August 1, 2022
Solar power batteries have been blamed for a fire which destroyed a large shed, vehicles and farm machinery at Taabinga at the weekend.
At 1:35am on Saturday, emergency crews were called to the property on Boonenne-Ellesmere Road.
A QFES spokesperson said the large 30m x 50m shed was well-engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
Eight fire crews – both urban and rural – attended the blaze.
Officer-in-charge of Kingaroy Police, Senior Sergeant Dave Tierney, said the owner had been working in the sheds earlier and was woken about 1:30am by the sounds of explosions.
“Investigations reveal the fire is non-suspicious and is believed to have started in batteries in the shed storing solar power,” Snr Sgt Tierney said.
“Aside from the loss of the sheds, two vehicles and farm machinery have also been destroyed.”
Firefighters brought the blaze under control by 2:40am and spent the next three hours mopping up and ensuring the area was safe.