February 11, 2022
Northern Stars drew first blood in Game 1 of the Under 17s challenge series played last Friday night at Lyle Vidler Oval in Kingaroy.
The three-game series is pitting up-and-coming cricketers from across the South Burnett in a three-game series played under lights.
Northern Stars (4/167) defeated Southern Bulls (8/86) by 81 runs.
Joe Meikle (77) and Lachlan Zelinksi (47) top-scored for the Stars while Josh Fearby took 1/17 for the Bulls.
Lachlan Cullen (24) and Lawson Black (20) were best for Bulls while Charlie Sippel took 2/11.
Round 2 will be played at Lyle Vidler on February 18.
* * *
South Burnett Senior Cricket
- Nanango (157 all out) def. Wondai (108 all out) by 49 runs at Wondai Sportsground.
Nanango won the toss and batted first.
Lochlan Burrows (43) and Lachlan Cullen (27) top-scored for the Scorpions.
Riley Hood 4/30 and J. Brazier 3/33 were Wondai’s best bowlers.
Riley also did well with the bat, hitting 25 runs.
L. Steinhardt was unbeaten on 20.
Aidan Cavanough (3/9 off four overs) and Abby Burrows (2/18 off five overs) did the damage for Nanango.
* * *
- Murgon (2/140) defeated Kingaroy Services (136 all out) by eight wickets at Murgon Sportsground.
Murgon won the toss and sent Kingaroy in.
Opener Glenn Kelly got things under way with 31 runs, including three fours.
However, a middle-order collapse threatened Kingaroy’s chances until wicketkeeper Reuben Hoare came in at seven and hit a top-scoring 44 runs.
The visitors were all out in the 37th over.
Jake Sippel (4/32 off eight overs) and Nathan Roderick (4/27 off 5.5) were the pick of the Murgon bowlers.
However, Murgon made short work of overtaking the total, in just 20 overs,
Nathan Roderick finished not out 90. Riley Sippel was not out 20 off 27 balls.
Joshua Unverzagt (1/19) and Evan Blanch (1/24) took the two Murgon wickets.
* * *
- Wooroolin Vikings def. Cherbourg by forfeit
* * *
South Burnett Junior Cricket
- Stage 1 – Kingaroy (3/75) def. Nanango (5/56) by 19 runs at River Road, Kingaroy
1st innings: Summer 9, Benny 8; Ben 1/9 and Eddie 1/3
2nd innings: Amelia 10, Angus 7; Tom 1/9 and Dane 1/0
- Stage 2 – Nanango (2/122) def. Kingaroy Pineview Brangus (7/85) by 37 runs at Kingaroy State School
1st innings: Angus E 40 n/o, Darcy C 12 n/o; Mackenzie 1/4 and Mason 1/9
2nd innings: Joe 7, Zach 7 n/o; Josie B 3/6 and Angus E 2/7
- Stage 3 – Kingaroy Warriors (6/129) def. Nanango (99 all out) by 30 runs at Alan Downie Sportsfields, Nanango
Kingaroy innings: J. Whiteman 22 n/o, C. Blanch 16 n/o; H. Brown 2/22 and L. Black 2/35
Nanango innings: D. English 27 n/o, T. Town 17; A. Koehler 2/9 and J. Kerkow 1/8
* * *
South Burnett Junior Rep
Round 5 of the Wide Bay Championships were played on Sunday at Bundaberg and Gympie.
- Under 12s
Bundaberg (8/295) def. South Burnett (134 all out) at Bundaberg.
Joshua Williams 31, Jayden Prendergast 24; Emma Cullen 1/14 and D’arcy Harmsworth 1/25
- Under 14s
South Burnett (159 all out) def. Bundaberg (97 all out) at Bundaberg.
Lawson Black 46, Lachlan Cullen 28; Lochlan Burrows 5/24 and Zach Harris 2/19
- Under 16s
South Burnett/Gympie (9/188) def. Fraser Coast (139 all out) at Gympie.
H. Morgan 40, Joe Steinhardt 37; Nathan Roderick 3/17, Joe Steinhardt 3/24
* * *
Gympie A Grade
Wooroolin Warriors took on Gympie Colts at Lyle Vidler Oval on Saturday on Day 1 of their Gympie A Grade Two-Day competition match.
Warriors won the toss and sent Colts in to bat.
At the end of play, Colts were 96 all out while Warriors were 7/168.
Lleyton Brown was out for 44 while Michael Wostear was 43 not out.
Kieran Askin took 6/16 and Lleyton Brown 2/8.
In Gympie, Murgon Crusaders were all out 248 against Gympie Royals, 7/73 at Kosminsky Oval.
Murgon won the toss and batted first.
Ashley Sippel hit 148 runs before he was finally caught out.
Tony Dugdell (27) and Damien Sippel (18) added valuable runs.
Robert McIntosh finished the day with 3/1 and Thomas Currin 1/19.
* * *
Wide Bay Under 18s
The Wide Bay Under 18 team won two games from three in the Don McPherson Shield played in Gatton at the weekend.
The team, which included South Burnett players Matthew Springate and Fletcher Brown, defeated Darling Downs and Sunshine Coast but were defeated by South-East Queensland.
* * *
This Weekend’s Games
South Burnett Seniors – 12:30pm
- Cherbourg v Kingaroy Services at Murgon State High School
- Wooroolin Colts v Wondai at Kingaroy State School
- Murgon v Nanango at Murgon Sportsgrounds
- Wooroolin Vikings have the bye
South Burnett Junior Cricket – 8:00am
- Stage 1 – Kingaroy v Nanango at River Road Oval, Kingaroy
- Stage 2 – Kingaroy Wamuran Timbers v Kingaroy Pineview Brangus at Taabinga State School
- Stage 2 – Nanango v Kingaroy Westlink at Alan Downie Sportsfields, Nanango
- Stage 3 – Kingaroy Warriors v Nanango at Taabinga State School
Gympie A Grade – Round 3, Day 2 – 12:30pm
- Wooroolin Warriors v Gympie Colts at Lyle Vidler Oval, Kingaroy
- Murgon v Gympie Royals at Kozminsky Oval, Gympie
South Burnett Junior Rep – Sunday, 9:00am
- Under 12s – South Burnett v Gympie at Murgon Sportsgrounds
- Under 14s – South Burnett v Gympie at Murgon Sportsgrounds