December 12, 2021
Wooroolin Warriors have put paid to any hopes of Murgon repeating last season’s triple crown success in the Gympie A Grade cricket competition, comprehensively defeating Crusaders on Saturday.
The Gympie competition has three legs – a 40-over series, a T20 Cup and a Two-Day Shield.
Murgon dominated all three in the 2020-21 season.
But Warriors were simply too strong for the reigning champions on Saturday in the final of the 40-over competition played at Keith Manthey Oval in Gympie.
Wooroolin won the toss and batted first.
At the end of their 40 overs, the Warriors had set a target of 188 for Murgon, for the loss of just five wickets.
Lleyton Brown top-scored with 82, including seven boundaries and one six.
Jack Hourn (39 not out) and Hayden Wieck (34) also kept the scorekeepers busy.
In reply, Murgon’s batsmen fell like dominoes with Shane Polzin (13) and Troy Dennien (12) the only players to make it into double figures.
Wooroolin’s bowlers shared the honours: Reg Wenham (3/7 off 6.2 overs, including four maidens); Michael Wostear (2/14 off five); Kieran Askin (2/17 off five) and Tyler Heness (2/25 off six).
Murgon were all out for 64 in the 23 over.
Warriors will now play Gympie Colts in the final of the T20 competition on January 8 in Gympie.
* * *
Last Weekend’s Results
South Burnett Senior Cricket
- Cherbourg (5/107) defeated Warriors Colts (95 all out) by five wickets
- Wooroolin Vikings (9/149) defeated Kingaroy Services (9/146) by one wicket
- Wondai v Murgon was washed out
Next weekend (December 18), the South Burnett T20 competition will start.
* * *
South Burnett Junior Cricket
- Stage 2
Kingaroy Wamuran Timbers (4/93) defeated Nanango (4/72) by 21 runs.
1st innings: Angus 14, Josie 5, Emma 5; Jayden 2/3, Thomas 1/5, Isaac 1/8.
2nd innings: Isaac 14, Josh 12, Jayden 10; Caleb 2/13, Hayley 1/7, Darcy 1/16
- Stage 3 – Final
Nanango (5/137) defeated Kingaroy Warriors (6/123) by five wickets.
Kingaroy Warriors won the toss and batted first.
J. Williams (23) and Archie Koehler (17 not out) were the top scorers.
For Nanango, Rory O’Connor took 2/10, Braidyn Scott 1/6 and Abby Burrows 1/7.
In reply, Oscar Dioth (38 not out) and Thomas Town (35 not out) were the top scorers.
J. Williams (1/6), Jackson Kerkow (1/17) and James Whiteman (1/21) were best with the ball.
* * *
Some of the South Burnett’s best young cricketers will be in action this week for Wide Bay at State Championships this week.
- QJC – U12 at Gympie – Joshua Williams
- QJC – U13 at South Brisbane – Rory O’Connor
- QJC – U14 at Southport – Lachlan Burrows, Lachlan Cullen, Oscar Dioth, Zac Harris, Braidyn Scott and Thomas Town
- QJC – U15 at Ipswich – Josh Fearby
- Lord Mayor’s Cup – U13 at North Brisbane – Josie Black, Emma Cullen and Isabella Marshall
- Coastal Burners – U15 at Redlands – Charlotte Love
* * *
Goodchild Shield Competition
South Burnett (9/179) defeated Gympie (143) by 36 runs in the second round of the Goodchild Shield, played in Gympie.
Ashely Sippel top-scored for South Burnett with 31 runs and also took three wickets (3/23).
Lleyton Brown took 3/18.
Goodchild Shield Table after two rounds
* * *
Gympie A Grade Competition – T20
A series of T20 games were played in Gympie:
- Wooroolin Warriors (8/104) defeated Gympie Royals (7/99) by two wickets
- Gympie Valleys (2/204) defeated Wooroolin Warriors (8/157) by 47 runs
- Murgon Crusaders (4/136) defeated Harlequins (7/135) by six wickets
- Gympie Colts (5/74) defeated Murgon Crusaders (all out 73) by five wickets
The final of the Gympie A Grade T20 Cup will be played between Wooroolin Warriors and Gympie Colts on January 8 from 6:30pm at Keith Manthey Oval in Gympie.
* * *
Next Weekend’s Games
South Burnett Senior T20 Competition
Round 1 – 11:30am
- Cherbourg v Wooroolin Colts at Lyle Vidler Oval, Kingaroy
- Kingaroy Services v Wooroolin Vikings at Taabinga State School
- Murgon v Nanango at Kingaroy State School
- Wondai has the bye
Round 2 – 3:00pm
- Wooroolin Vikings v Cherbourg at Lyle Vidler Oval, Kingaroy
- Kingaroy Services v Wondai at Taabinga State School
- Wooroolin Colts v Murgon at Kingaroy State School
- Nanango has the bye
NB. The South Burnett Junior Competition will resume on January 29.