November 12, 2021
Junior cricket appears to be thriving in the South Burnett – every weekend there are Stage 2 and Stage 3 games played, and younger players are also regularly turning out in the senior competition.
Currently there are South Burnett U12s and U14s taking part in a regional representative competition, and South Burnett cricketers are playing for Wide Bay in the U16s Lord Taverners competition.
This interest by young players is being nurtured by senior club players and also by people such as former Australian test cricketer Carl Rackemann.
Kingaroy Services Cricket Association’s Cameron Watson has praised Carl for his continued support of cricket in the South Burnett.
“On Tuesday (November 9), Carl was invited to Kingaroy Services cricket training at Taabinga State School,” Cameron said.
“He gave an invaluable bowling coaching session.
“We have a young squad and all these guys gained valuable tips and coaching from the best.
“We are very lucky to have such knowledge locally and interest in our local cricket talent.”
* * *
South Burnett Junior Results
- Kingaroy Pineview Brangus (5/187) defeated Nanango (10/149) by 38 runs.
Kingaroy innings: Isaac 40 n/o, Josh 23 n/o, Jayden 18 n/o; Angus 2/16, Darcy 1/7 and Emma 1/9.
Nanango innings: Bella 39, Josie 23 n/o, Kade 11 n/o; Jamie 3/4, Jo 3/10 and Connor 2/13.
* * *
SBCA Junior Representative
Two junior South Burnett representative games were played at Murgon on Sunday, and the local teams both came away with wins.
- South Burnett U12s (all out 153) defeated Bundaberg (all out 128) by 25 runs
Josh Williams top-scored for South Burnett with 70 n/o.
Joe Carney (4/27), Jamie Searle (2/15) and Theo Kelly (1/8) were best with the ball.
- South Burnett U14s (6/139) defeated Bundaberg (all out 32) by 107 runs
Lochlan Burrows (27) and Lachlan Cullen (22) top-scored for South Burnett.
Tom Town (4/3), Zac Harris (2/7) and Oscar Dioth (2/6) ripped through the Bundaberg batters.
* * *
South Burnett Senior Results
- Nanango (2/152) defeated Wooroolin Colts (all out 151) by eight wickets at Lyle Vidler Oval.
Colts won the toss and batted first.
Stewart Lavaring top-scored with 58.
For Nanango, Lachlan Cullen took 3/21 off 6.1 overs and Angus O’Brien 2/15 off four.
In reply, Nanango overhauled the target in the 21st over.
Opener Joseph Steinhardt was not out 110.
Stewart Lavaring (1/30) and James Whiteman (1/32) took the two wickets.
* * *
- Murgon (5/329) defeated Cherbourg (all out 192) by 137 runs at Murgon State High School.
Murgon won the toss and batted first.
Andrew Roderick retired not out when he hit his century.
Riley Sippel also hit an impressive 65 runs, including a dozen boundaries.
For Cherbourg, Christian Simpson took 2/49 and Roy Barrett 1/42.
In reply, David Warner (50) and Lyndon Hopkins (38) top-scored for Cherbourg.
Murgon bowlers shared the honours, with Jack Webber (2/27) and Nathan Roderick (2/22) finishing on top.
* * *
- Wooroolin Vikings (7/107) defeated Wondai (all out 96) by three wickets at Wondai Sportsground.
Wondai won the toss and batted first.
B. McDowell (24) and J. Hobbs (18) top-scored for Wondai while B. Stapleton (4/19) and A. Sheen (3/20) were the best of the Vikings’ bowlers.
In reply, B. Moore (37) led the way for Wooroolin.
J. Hobbs (2/15) and J. Brazier (2/31) were the pick of the Wondai bowlers.
* * *
Gympie A Grade Results
- Murgon Crusaders (4/142) defeated Gympie Colts (all out 139) by six wickets in Gympie.
- Wooroolin Warriors (all out 204) defeated Valleys (all out 137) by 67 runs in Gympie.
* * *
This Week’s Games
South Burnett Junior Competition
Stage 2 – 8:00am
- Nanango v Kingaroy Wamuran Timbers at Nanango Sportsground
- Kingaroy Pineview Brangus v Kingaroy Westlink at Kingaroy State School
Stage 3 – 8:00am
- Nanango Mixed v Kingaroy Mixed at Taabinga State School
SBCA Senior Competition – 12:30pm
- Murgon v Wooroolin Colts at Murgon Sportsground
- Kingaroy Services v Wondai at Taabinga State School
- Wooroolin Vikings v Nanango at Lyle Vidler Oval, Kingaroy
- Cherbourg has the bye
Gympie A Grade Competition – Noon
- Murgon Crusaders v Harlequins at Murgon Sportsground
- Gympie Royals v Wooroolin Warriors at Kozminsky Oval, Gympie