October 28, 2021
Two free workshops which will be held at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall next Thursday (November 4) are designed to give the South Burnett’s artists, event organisers and small creative businesses a big leg-up.
The first workshop is Grant Writing For Creatives, which will run from 11:00am to 1:30pm.
This will be an introductory workshop for grant writing and finding funding and it is aimed at people with zero, limited or some previous grant writing experience.
The workshop is best suited to:
- individual artists or creative practitioners (e.g. visual arts, music, performing artists, photography, dance and more)
- arts workers
- event managers
- festival and/or major event committees
- individuals, community groups or tourism professionals planning arts events
- local government professionals
The workshop will be facilitated by grants specialist and arts worker Olivia Everitt.
In this workshop, participants will learn:
- What grant funding is available for the arts?
- Getting started – planning for your grant application
- Budgeting for arts projects including artist fees, travel costs and more
- Where to find support and other partnerships for your project or arts practice, and
- Managing grant funds – auspicing, grant agreements and doing your acquittal
A second workshop – Business Basics for Creatives – will run from 2:30pm to 5:00pm and will be led by Jason Virtue from the Business LEAP Entrepreneurship Facilitators Program.
It will teach the fundamentals of turning a creative passion into a business.
This workshop is suitable for a range of individuals including:
- individuals looking to scale a creative side hustle
- artists making and/or selling artistic or handmade products who want to take it to the next level
- musicians or performers
- artists taking or seeking artwork commissions, and
- arts practitioners offering professional services
In this workshop, Jason will cover:
- Understanding the best business structure
- Sourcing an ABN and do I need to register for GST?
- What records you need to keep, and how to keep them
- Knowing your costs and your break-even point
Both workshops have been organised as part of the Blackbutt Avocado Festival’s arts strategy and to ensure proper COVID safe conditions, participants need to register online to attend one (or both) of them: