October 15, 2021
Wooroolin Warriors won the toss and batted first in their Gympie A Grade match against Royals at Lyle Vidler Oval in Kingaroy last Saturday.
The home team were all out for 197 in the 35th over, but proved too good for the Gympie visitors who were all out for 131.
Reginald Wenham top-scored for Wooroolin with 45 runs, with Michael Wostear finishing not out 35.
Wooroolin’s Lleyton Brown ripped through the Royals’ attack, taking 5/32 off 7.3 overs, including one maiden.
* * *
In Gympie, Harlequins defeated Murgon Crusaders by 26 runs.
Harlequins won the toss and batted first and were 7/196 at the end of their 40 overs.
Murgon bowlers shared the honours, each taking a wicket apiece but Tom Currin finished with the best figures, 1/16 off six overs.
In reply, Murgon were all out for 170 in the 37th over.
Jason Webber top-scored with 59.
Ashley Sippel was setting a cracking pace, hitting 30 runs off 25 balls – including three fours and two sixes – before being run out.
Nicholas Sanewski hit one big six before being bowled on the second ball faced.
Murgon will be back in action in the South Burnett this weekend, facing local rivals Wooroolin Warriors at Murgon Showgrounds.
* * *
South Burnett Senior Results
Round 1 games from the 40-over South Burnett Senior Competition were played at grounds around the region last Saturday.
- Wooroolin Vikings defeated Murgon by 116 runs at Kingaroy State School.
Vikings won the toss and batted first and were all out for 218.
Top scorers for Wooroolin were B. Stapleton (52) and Jayden Steinhardt (36).
For Murgon, Jonathon Kapernick took 3/30 and Jared Sippel 2/22.
In reply, Murgon were all out for 1o2.
Ashley Louis top-scored with 33 runs.
For Wooroolin, Jayden Steinhardt took 3/10 and B. Moore 3/29.
- Wooroolin Colts defeated Kingaroy Services by four wickets at Taabinga State School.
Services won the toss and batted first. At the end of their 40 overs they were 9/222.
Opener Justin Labinsky top-scored for Services, hitting 64 runs off 66 balls, including 11 boundaries.
Sam Scott was next best with a quickfire 36.
For Colts, James Whiteman took 2/18 and Roger Hoare 2/20.
In reply, Wooroolin Colts overhauled the target in their last over, finishing 6/223.
Brett Simpson (52 n/o), Jeffrey Rose (36) and Noah Birch (34) were best with the bat.
Trevor Black took 2/18 off six overs for Services and Sam Scott, 2/47 off seven.
- Cherbourg defeated Nanango by four wickets at Murgon State High School.
Nanango won the toss and batted first, and were 9/215 at the end of their 40 overs.
Dan O’Connor (75), Braidyn Scott (32) and Rory O’Connor (24) were best with the bat.
For Cherbourg, Edwin Simpson took 2/30 off seven overs, and Kimberly Barrett 1/7 off two.
In reply, Cherbourg overhauled the target in the 33rd over, finishing 6/219.
Opener Edwin Simpson carried his bat with 117 and Ryan Jacobs was also unbeaten on 51.
For Nanango, Nicholas Scherger took 3/33 off eight overs and Abby Burrows 2/34 off seven.
* * *
South Burnett Junior Results
Round 1 of the South Burnett Junior Competition was played last Saturday.
- In Stage 2, Kingaroy Westlink (5/123) defeated Nanango (4/84) by five wickets.
Kingaroy innings: Joe Carney 12 n/o, Josh Kilpatrick 10. Darcy Cullen took 2/17 and Bella Marshall 1/10.
Nanango innings: Emma Cullen 15 n/o, Isabella Marshall 16 n/o. Nate Chew took 1/4 and Joe Carney 1/14.
- In Stage 3, Nanango (5/228) defeated Kingaroy Vikings (8/98) by five wickets after Oscar Dioth scored a half-century.
Nanango innings: Oscar Dioth 51 n/o, Braidyn Scott 38 n/o. Logan Chew took 1/2 and Hayden Donohue 1/22.
Kingaroy innings: Jackson Kerkow 27, Nat Reilly 10. Rory O’Connor took 3/12 and Brian Smith 1/2.
* * *
Anyone – young or old – interested in playing cricket this season should check out their local clubs online
- Kingaroy Services Cricket Club
- Nanango & District Cricket Club
- Murgon & District Cricket Club
- Kingaroy Junior Cricket Association
- Cherbourg Cricket Club
- Wondai Cricket Club
- Wooroolin Warriors Cricket Club
* * *
This Weekend’s Games
South Burnett Junior Competition – 8:00am
- Kingaroy Westlink v Kingaroy Wamuran Timbers at the River Road Oval, Kingaroy
- Nanango have the bye
- Kingaroy Vikings v Nanango at Murgon Showgrounds
South Burnett Senior Competition – 12:30pm
- Wooroolin Vikings v Kingaroy Services at Lyle Vidler Oval, Kingaroy
- Cherbourg v Wooroolin Colts at Murgon State High School
- Murgon v Wondai at Murgon Showgrounds Oval #2
- Nanango have the bye
Gympie A Grade Competition – Noon
- Murgon Crusaders v Wooroolin Warriors at Murgon Showgrounds Oval #1
* * *
South Burnett Junior rep teams will be in action at Maryborough on Sunday:
- Under 12s – Fraser Coast v South Burnett at Newton Oval #2
- Under 14s – Fraser Coast v South Burnett at Newton Oval #1