July 27, 2021
The annual Dinner With Captains is on this Saturday night … but sorry folks, it’s already booked out!
The dinner, at Kingaroy Town Hall, is a major fundraiser for the South Burnett’s Relay For Life campaign.
So for those 300 or so who have been lucky enough to secure tickets for the gala event, this is what you’ll be tempted to buy at the auctions on the night.
Heading the list is a $9500 (plus GST) Donder brand fertilizer spreader, donated by OzValue Ag in Kingaroy.
But if farming isn’t your thing, there’s plenty of other items that will tempt diners to open their wallets, including memorabilia, rum, a $3000 outdoor furniture set and some great “experiences” including tickets to sporting events or your very own party at a pub.
* * *
Auction Items Include:
- 1500 litre Donder fertilizer spreader (donated by OzValue AG Machinery)
- Harvey Norman – Nine-piece outdoor setting, 10 memory foam pillows
- 1 litre bottle Ramu rum, signed by the Captains
- 1 litre bottle Ramu gin, signed by the Captains
- New Guinea package – framed painting of warrior, 2 bilums (bags) and a crocodile skin wallet (donated by Dennis Cotter)
- On tour with the Bulls Masters
- Framed and signed Roger Federer shirt (donated by Wayne Kratzmann)
- First State of Origin celebration, signed by Arthur Beetson (donated by Ray Mason)
- Signed purple cricket balls
- Your table’s photo with the Captains
- Two tickets to Day 3 of the Ashes Test, including two-course lunch and accommodation (donated by Queensland Cricketers Club and Quest South Brisbane)
- 12 months’ membership of Queensland Cricketers Club
- Your Big Party (donated by RYZA and Kingaroy Hotel-Motel)
- 12-seat air-conditioned suite at T20 Australia v Sri Lanka on February 13, 2022 – uncatered (donated by Cricket Australia)
- Great Northern swag (donated by Carlton United Breweries)
- “Waugh in the Windies” (donated by Rod Dionysius)
- Four tickets to Australia v South Africa rugby test match at Suncorp Stadium in September and four tickets to Broncos v Warriors on August 22 (donated by Suncorp Stadium)
- “Farewell to Alfie”, signed and framed (donated by Malcolm and Helen Gold)
- State Of Origin, 40 years 1980-2019, signed by Allan Langer (donated by Malcolm and Helen Gold)
- CROW-FM advertising package
- Burnett Today advertising package
* * *
The annual Captains Dinner is organised by a small committee, headed by former Test cricketer and South Burnett Relay For Life patron Carl Rackemann.
Carl always seems to be able to lure some of Australia’s biggest sporting heroes along to take part!
This year’s guests at the Captains Dinner will be:
- Rugby league superstar Allan “Alfie” Langer AM, who played almost 40 games for Queensland as well as more than 25 for Australia and captained the Broncos to their first NRL premiership in 1992.
- Olympic gold medal beach volleyballer Natalie Cook OAM who became the first Australian woman to compete at five Olympic Games.
- Kingaroy’s own Kelvin Kerkow OAM who won a gold medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in lawn bowls as well as multiple golds in international lawn and indoors bowls championships.
Diners will get the opportunity to meet the sports stars as well as enjoy a gourmet three-course dinner.
- Related article: Relay Is Back, Bigger Than Ever!