July 16, 2021
Australia is home to over 150 supersized monuments and artworks that look like much smaller objects, animals and food.
Well-known “big things” include the Big Pineapple (Sunshine Coast), the Big Watermelon (Chinchilla), the Big Prawn (Ballina) or the Big Guitar (Tamworth).
And very soon Kingaroy will be adding its own Big Peanut to the list as well.
The simple fact is that towns across Australia have been building “Big Things” to attract tourists for decades.
Now Blackbutt wants to join the Big Things movement, too.
Blackbutt’s Avocado Festival Committee has issued a call for artists, students and anyone with a big idea to design a Big Avocado for the town.
The design should answer several questions including:
- How big is it?
- Can visitors climb, play or sit on it?
- Can people walk into it?
- Is it on the ground or up high?
- Is it permanent or temporary?
- What is it made from?
… and should include a drawing providing an idea of what the Big Avocado would look like.
Apart from fame, the winning entry will receive a prize pack that includes:
- $250 “Blackbutt Bucks” (ie. spending money at participating Blackbutt retailers)
- A Gold Pass for two entrants into any (or all) the avocado-inspired games, activities and competitions hosted at the 2021 Blackbutt Avocado Festival on Saturday, September 11
- A miniature model of your Big Avocado design, and
- Media opportunities
Entry forms are available right now on the Blackbutt Avocado Festival web site
Entries in the design competition will close at 5:00pm on Monday, July 26.