June 4, 2021
Kingaroy Red Ants rugby league club is holding its annual Pink Day at T.J. O’Neill Oval on Saturday – so expect an explosion of pink on and off the field!
There will be a jumping castle, face painting, fairy floss, slush puppies, cake/lolly stall and helium balloons as well as a jam-packed round of junior and senior games from 8:00am through to the two A Grade games at night.
The day is a fundraiser for cancer research, and is always a huge day for the Red Ants club and its volunteer team.
But Kingaroy’s senior team also has another reason to celebrate.
The A Grade side is coming off an historic win in Round 9 of the South Burnett competition.
Last weekend at Cherbourg, Kingaroy downed the Nanango Stags in 30-20 – the first loss the Nanango A Grade side has incurred this season.
It’s also the first loss the Stags A Graders have suffered since they defeated Kingaroy 48-0 in the 2018 South Burnett Grand Final.
The Stags didn’t field a senior team in the 2019 competition and the 2020 competition was cancelled due to the pandemic.
* * *
Congratulations to former Cherbourg Hornet Selwyn Cobbo who made his NRL debut for the Broncos on Thursday night against St George Illawarra.
The game didn’t go Brisbane’s way but it was still a huge night for Selwyn, who played on the wing.
Selwyn played his junior football with the Hornets and was selected for multiple schoolboys and district rep sides as a youngster.
The former Murgon State High School captain has been described as a “teen sensation” by Fox Sports and a “boom backline sensation” by the Courier-Mail.
His old school posted a photo of Selwyn on social media this week, taken when he was in Year 10.
The photo shows Selwyn’s career dream chalked on to a blackboard: “I want to be a professional rugby league player in the NRL and play for the Brisbane Broncos!”
You’ve done it!
* * *
Last Week’s Results
- Under 14s – Murgon 20 def. Kingaroy 10
- Under 14s – Nanango 34 def. Chinchilla 12
- A Grade – Cherbourg 44 def. Murgon 36
- A Grade – Kingaroy 30 def. Nanango 20
- Under 15s – Dalby 22 def. South Burnett Eagles 10
- Under 16s – Dalby 32 def. South Burnett Eagles 20
On Sunday at Highfields
- Under 18s – Highfields 42 def. South Burnett Eagles 12
* * *
This Weekend’s Games
- 8:00am – Under 12s – Kingaroy 1 v Murgon 2
- 8:50am – Under 12s – Murgon 1 v Cherbourg
- 9:30am – Under 6s
- 9:40am – Under 12s – Nanango v Kingaroy 2
- 10:30am – Under 8s – Kingaroy 1 v Murgon 2
- 10:30am – Under 8s – Kingaroy 2 v Murgon 1
- 10:30am – Under 14s – Murgon v Nanango
- 11:30am – Under 8s – Nanango v Cherbourg / Wondai
- 11:30am – Under 14s – Kingaroy v Chinchilla
- 11:30am – Under 10s – Kingaroy 1 v Murgon 2
- 12:30pm – Under 10s – Nanango v Cherbourg
- 12:30pm – Under 10s – Kingaroy 2 v Murgon 1
- 12:30pm – Under 15s – South Burnett v Highfields (TJRL)
- 1:45pm – Under 17s Girls – South Burnett v Roma / Highfields (TJRL)
- 2:45pm – Under 16s – South Burnett v Highfields (TJRL)
- 4:00pm – Under 18s – South Burnett v Toowoomba Brothers (TJRL)
- 5:30pm – A Grade – Kingaroy v Wondai
- 7:00pm – A Grade – Nanango v Murgon
There will also be an Under 35kg South Burnett trial match on Friday evening from 5:40pm, followed by an Under 43kg trial match.