April 2, 2021
Rugby league fans headed to Wondai on Saturday to see the Wolves in action for the first time in 2021.
The local side had a bye in Round 1 but came up against a rampaging Nanango Stags in Round 2.
The Stags have had a two-year break from the South Burnett competition after winning the 2018 A Grade competition 48-0 against Kingaroy … they were missing in action in 2019, and then their planned 2020 campaign was wiped out by the pandemic cancellation.
In 2021’s Round 1, Nanango proved they are still a handful, downing Kingaroy again, this time 40-12.
On Saturday, Wondai scored two tries in the first half, but the Stags were just too strong, running away for a 72-16 victory after leading 38-10 at half-time.
The clash topped off a big day of league at Wondai Sportsground, starting with juniors in the morning, two Under 14s games and then the A Grade double-header.
In the first A Grade game, Kingaroy defeated Cherbourg in a game closer than the final scoreline of 34-20 indicated.
At half-time, Kingaroy was ahead 18-16.
The heat knocked both sides around in the second half, with all players grateful when the final siren sounded.
- Round 3 will be played at Kingaroy’s T.J. O’Neill on April 10. The A Grade games will be played under lights: 5:00pm Kingaroy v Wondai; 6:30pm Nanango v Murgon.
* * *
Under 14s – Nanango 18 def. Chinchilla 8
- Nanango tries: Will Essen (2), Lachlan Turner, Sebastian King. Isaiah Smallwood kicked one goal.
- Chinchilla try: Nathan Rollings. Frankie Bligh kicked one goal.
Under 14s – Kingaroy 22 def. Murgon 20
- Kingaroy tries: Fletcher Prain (3), Josh Fearby. Harrison Braithwaite kicked three goals.
- Murgon tries: Darryl Gyemore (3), Will Webber. Trent Aubrey kicked two goals.
A Grade – Kingaroy 34 def. Cherbourg 20
- Kingaroy tries: Jayden Jarvis (2), Asofono Lemalu (2), Jye Thorley, Blake Augustine. Ashley Smallwood kicked five goals.
- Cherbourg tries: Arshell Hopkins (2), Mark Saltner, Neil Stanley. Alex Speedy and Ryan Jacobs kicked one goal each.
A Grade – Nanango 72 def. Wondai 16
- Nanango tries: Pat McCallum (3), Jakeb Mead (2), Tom Springate (2), Drew Jackson, Tyren Smallwood, Kieran Douglass, Jackson Mladenovic, Andrew Hewitt, Rhyse Simpson and Matt Mladenovic. Tom Springate kicked eight goals.
- Wondai tries: Sonny Weazel (2), Anthony Dynevor. Alex Georgetown kicked two goals.