February 12, 2021
Riley Sippel – one of the South Burnett’s best young cricketers – had a match he won’t be forgetting for a long time when he turned out for Murgon Diggers last Saturday.
Diggers were taking on Kingaroy Services in a South Burnett senior cricket competition game at Taabinga State School.
Sippel, who came in at number four, was on 99 when he suffered a painful injury after spiking his bat while running between the wickets.
Before this, Sippel had been freely hitting boundaries to all points of the oval.
After taking a few minutes to recover, Sippel bravely took strike again – only to be caught out of his ground and stumped by Kingaroy wicketkeeper Michael Unverzagt.
Murgon (6/289) went on to defeat Services (8/206) in the blistering heat.
Sippel was Murgon’s top scorer, closely followed by Nathan Roderick (81) who also fell to an Unverzagt stumping.
In reply, Ken Bedow top scored for Kingaroy with 59.
* * *
Other South Burnett Senior results:
- Cherbourg (7/249) def. Nanango Scorpions (all out 214) at Murgon State High School.
Cherbourg won the toss and elected to bat.
Lyndon Hopkins top scored with 64 and Barry Fisher Snr was 40 not out at the end of Cherbourg’s 40 overs.
Nicholas Scherger was the best of the Nanango bowlers, taking 3/33 off his eight overs.
In reply, Brock Matthews was on 64 when he was run out.
Dan O’Connor was 30 not out when Nanango ran out of batters.
After starring with the bat for Cherbourg, Lyndon Hopkins (4/33) and Barry Fisher Snr (3/34) also finished with the best figures with the ball.
* * *
South Burnett Junior Competition
- Stage 1 – Kingaroy (1/139) def. Nanango (10/41) by 98 runs
- Stage 3 – Murgon (5/241) def. Kingaroy Burnett Water (6/112)
* * *
Gympie A Grade – Two Day Competition
At the end of Day 1 of Round 3:
- Harlequins (all out 228) v Murgon Crusader (0/20) at Gympie
- Western Gympie (all out 91) leading Wooroolin Warriors (all out 52) at Gympie
* * *
This Weekend’s Games
Friday (February 12)
- Northern Stars v Southern Bulls – Round 2 of the U17s Carl Rackemann T20 Challenge, 6:00pm at Lyle Vidler Oval, Kingaroy.
Saturday (February 13)
South Burnett Junior Cricket
- Stage 1 – Kingaroy v Nanango at River Rd, Kingaroy
- Stage 2 – Kingaroy Northern AgriServices v Nanango at Taabinga State School
- Stage 3 – Murgon v Nanango at Murgon Sportsground
South Burnett Senior Cricket
- Cherbourg v Kumbia Rattlers at Murgon State High School
- Wondai Wolves v Nanango Scorpions at Wondai Sportsground
- Murgon Diggers v Wooroolin Warriors at Murgon Sportsground
Kingaroy Services has the bye.
Gympie A Grade – Two Day Competition (Round 3 – Day 2)
- Harlequins v Murgon Crusader at Gympie
- Western Gympie v Wooroolin Warriors at Gympie
Sunday (February 13)
Junior Representative Cricket – Wide Bay Championships at Murgon Sportsground
- Under 10 – South Burnett v Gympie
- Under 12 – South Burnett v Gympie
- Under 14 – South Burnett v Gympie