January 27, 2021
Northern Stars defeated Southern Bulls by four wickets in the last over of Round 1 of the Carl Rackemann Challenge played at Lyle Vidler Oval on Tuesday afternoon.
The T20 game was played after Australia Day activities on the oval wound up.
Southern were 6/95 at the end of their 20 overs. Matt Springate (39 not out) was the top scorer.
Riley Sippel (3/8) and Jake Sippel (1/7) were the best of the Northern bowlers.
Northern overhauled the target in the last over, finishing 6/96.
Nathan Roderick took the bulk of the runs, ending 55 not out.
Lachlan Watson (3/10) and Matt Springate (2/12) were the pick of the Southern bowlers.
Game 2 of the three-game Challenge will be played on Friday, February 12; and Game 3 on Friday, February 26.
* * *
Gympie A Grade Cricket
At the end of Day 1 of Round 2 of the Gympie A Grade two-day competition:
- Murgon Crusaders were all out for 123 against Gympie Colts (5/56) at Murgon Sportsground.
Gympie won the toss and sent Murgon in.
Nick Sanewski (36) and Matt Springate (34) top scored for the Crusaders while Graeme Brown proved lethal taking four Colts’ wickets for just seven runs.
Day 2 will be played on January 30 at Murgon Sportsground.
- In Gympie, Valleys won the toss and batted first.
Matt Patroni took 4/43 and Kieran Askin 5/23 as Valleys were all out for 95 in the 33rd over.
In reply, Wooroolin Warriors were 6/155 at the close of play.
Lleyton Brown was 72 not out.
Day 2 will be played on January 30 at Gympie.
* * *
This Weekend’s Games
South Burnett Senior Competition
- Nanango Scorpions v Kingaroy Services at Nanango Sportsground
- Murgon Diggers v Kumbia Rattlers at Murgon Sportsground
- Wooroolin Warriors v Wondai Wolves at Lyle Vidler Oval, Kingaroy
Cherbourg has the bye
South Burnett Junior Competition
- Stage 2 – Nanango v Kingaroy Burnett Water at Nanango Sportsground
- Stage 3 – Nanango v Kingaroy Burnett Water at Nanango Sportsground
Junior Wide Bay Championships (Sunday, January 31)
- U14 – Fraser Coast v South Burnett at Maryborough