December 18, 2020
Ladder leaders Murgon Diggers defeated Kumbia Rattlers by 17 runs in the final of the South Burnett T20 competition played at Lyle Vidler Oval in Kingaroy on Saturday.
Kumbia earned the right to contest the final after downing Nanango Scorpions earlier in the morning.
Murgon batted first and were all out for 111.
Opener Riley Sippel hit a string of fours in quick succession before he was bowled for 24.
Nathan Roderick top scored for Diggers with 24.
Ryan Kelly 3/33 and Roger Hoare 2/8 did the damage for the Rattlers.
In reply, Kumbia were all out for 94.
Top scorers were Darryl Adkins (29) and Ryan Kelly (22).
Jamie Currin took 3/24 for Murgon, and Riley Sippel 2/8.
* * *
Earlier South Burnett Senior Competition T20 games:
- Wondai Wolves ( 7/192) def. Kingaroy Services (7/112) by 80 runs at Taabinga State School
- Kumbia Rattlers (all out 172) def. Nanango Scorpions (all out 147) by 25 runs at Kingaroy State School
- Murgon Diggers (9/163) def. Cherbourg (all out 110) by 53 runs at Lyle Vidler Oval.
Kumbia’s victory set up the T20 final clash between the Rattlers and Murgon Diggers (above).
* * *
Gympie A Grade
Murgon Crusaders will take on Gympie Valleys in the Grand Final of the Gympie 40-over competition on Saturday after Valleys narrowly defeated Wooroolin Warriors last weekend in the semi-final played in Gympie.
Warriors won the toss and batted first and were all out for 228 in the 39th over.
Matt Dugdell led the way with the bat, scoring 71 runs off just 52 balls, including seven fours and four sixes.
Hayden Wieck was not out 34.
In reply, Valleys managed to overhaul Wooroolin’s target for the loss of eight wickets, with just one over left.
Valleys finished 8/229, securing a two-wicket victory.
Matt Patroni, Kieran Askin, Caylan Brown and Luke Smith each took two wickets.
The Grand Final between Crusaders and Valleys will be played from 12:30pm on Saturday at Kozminsky Oval in Gympie.
* * *
This Weekend’s Games
South Burnett Senior Competition
- Nanango Scorpions v Wooroolin Warriors at Nanango Sportsground
- Cherbourg v Wondai Wolves at Murgon State High School
- Kumbia Rattlers v Kingaroy Services at Kumbia Sportsground
Murgon Diggers has the bye.