October 22, 2010
Combined agents yarded 930 head in Murgon on Tuesday, and export cattle were much stronger on previous sales.
Cattle were drawn from Eidsvold, Gayndah, Mt Perry, Kingaroy, Kilkivan, Kilcoy, Biggenden and the Murgon district.
- Weaner cattle broke records, with a few pens of steers selling over $5.50/kg
- Lightweight mickeys from Tansey also sold for $5.50/kg
- Heavy bulls topped at $3.32/kg for $3006
- Bullocks sold to $3.58/kg and $1862
- Heaviest steers were $3.31/kg, returning $2418
- Heavy cows over 500kg topped at $3.23/kg and $1874, averaging $2.99/kg
- Cows 400-500kg sold to $3.34/kg and $1437, for a $2.86/kg average including stores
- Lighter cows under 400kg topped at $3.27/kg
- Export heifers sold to $3.60/kg at $1665
- Slaughter steers sold to $4.03/kg and $1858
- Angus steers weighing 479kg from Cooyar sold to $3.55/kg and $1702
- Droughtmaster and Santa steers from Proston made $5.50/kg and $866
- Quality Charolais steers from Wondai made $4.94/kg at $988
- Heifers from Proston weighing 500kg sold to $4.62/kg and $855
- Droughtmaster heifers from Tansey sold for $4.58/kg at $830
- Feeder heifers sold to $4.09/kg, returning $1432
- The majority of quality heifers were in the $3.70/kg to $3.90/kg range
- Twelve-year-old Brahman cows and calves made $2375 per unit.