July 13, 2020
Calling all artists! Wondai Regional Art Gallery is seeking entries in its annual October Art Competition, which is offering more than $8000 in cash prizes this year.
The major prize is the $3000 Mayor’s Acquisitive – sponsored by the South Burnett Regional Council – for a work that will be added to the region’s permanent collection.
The remaining $5000 will be distributed as first and second prizes across other categories.
This year, the competition will have six main categories:
- Section 1 (Open) – Art
(a) Oil or Acrylic
(b) Watercolour (Pure)
(d) Any other medium
- Section 2 (Open) – Photography
- Section 3 (Open) – Sculpture and Ceramics
- Section 4 (Open) – Indigenous Art of Australia
- Section 5 – South Burnett Residents Only (any medium)
- Section 6 (Open) – Australian Poetry Theme Art Competition – Artist is to choose an Australian poem, written between 1800 and 1900, and use any medium to interpret it.
The $3000 winning entry in the Acquisitive section will be judged from Sections 1 to 6.
The entry voted People’s Choice on opening night (October 2) will be awarded $100.
Gallery curator Elaine Madill said children were invited to submit entries to all categories, but they would be judged alongside all other entries.
The gallery plans to hold a special children’s-only competition, open to students from all South Burnett schools, in August next year.
COVID-19 restrictions derailed plans to hold a separate children’s competition this year.
- More information – and conditions of entry – are available on the entry form which can be downloaded here (600kb PDF)