June 9, 2020
Widgee rural firefighter Barry Dyer has been honoured during Rural Fire Service Week, receiving the Assistant Commissioner’s Volunteer of the Year Award
RFS Assistant Commissioner John Bolger said Barry had received the special award for his “exemplary and loyal service to both his brigade and the community”.
“His compassion, enthusiasm, optimism and encouragement showcase everything an RFS volunteer should aspire to,” Assistant Commissioner Bolger said.
Fire and Emergency Services Minister Craig Crawford also congratulated Barry as well as the Regional Volunteer of the Year award winners, also announced on Tuesday.
“In celebration of RFS Week, we recognised a volunteer from each of our seven regions with the Regional Volunteer of the Year Award,” QFES Commissioner Greg Leach said.
“These awards are given to those volunteers who showed exceptional leadership, commitment to protecting their communities and outstanding contribution to their individual brigades.
“Congratulations to all award recipients on your outstanding work and on-going contribution to Queensland communities.”
* * *
Regional Volunteer of the Year award winners:
- Brisbane – Dean West, Rocksberg Moorina Rural Fire Brigade
- South East – Trevor Turner, Mount Alford Rural Fire Brigade
- South West – Peter Patzwald, Cabarlah Rural Fire Brigade
- North Coast – David Morton, Bungadoo Rural Fire Brigade
- Central – Errol Noye, Turkey Beach Rural Fire Brigade
- Northern – Corinne Young, Black River and District Rural Fire Brigade
- Far Northern – Garry Pickering, Croydon Rural Fire Brigade