May 27, 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic appears to have had little effect on local cattle sales.
A total of 900 head of all descriptions were yarded in Murgon last Tuesday, and sold to very strong values.
Both weaner steers and heifers were in high demand.
Cattle for the sale were drawn from Biloela, Mundubbera, Gayndah, Biggenden, Mt Perry, Durong, Nanango, Yarraman, Jimna, Kingaroy and the Murgon district.
- Bulls topped at $3.05/kg and $2620
- Heavy Cows over 500kg topped at $2.95/kg and $1910, averaging $2.59/kg
- Cows 400-500kg sold to $2.69/kg for a $2.37/kg average
- Lighter Cows under 400kg topped at $2.42/kg
- Export heifers sold to $3.19/kg and $1780
- 430kg Santa steers from Murgon sold to $3.69/kg to return $1590
- 461kg local Belmont Red Cross steers sold for $1660 at $3.60/kg
- Two pens of Braford steers from Redgate sold for $3.59/kg to return $1514 and $1482
- 438kg Droughtmaster steers from Gayndah sold for $1570 and $3.58/kg
- 375kg Simmental cross steers from Murgon sold for $1414 at $3.77/kg
- 308kg Angus steers sold for $1140 at $3.70/kg
- Romagnola cross steers from Proston weighing 322kg sold for $1170 at $3.63/kg
- Charolais cross weaner steers from Proston sold for $4.01/kg to return $1005
- Blonde cross weaner steers from Wondai sold for $832 at $4.16/kg
- Charbray weaner steers from Jimna sold for $877 and $4.05/kg
- 223 Angus cross weaner steers sold to $4.02/kg to return $898
- Two pens of light Charbray steers from Nanango sold for $4.15/kg and $3.95/kg to return $811 and $741
- Simmental cross weaner steers from Corndale sold for $623 at $4.05/kg
- 335kg Wagyu cross heifers from Crownthorpe sold for $1155 at $3.45/kg
- 342kg Droughtmaster heifers sold for $3.31/kg to return $1134
- Brangus heifers from Biloela sold for $3.30/kg and $1075
- Angus weaner heifers from Yarraman sold to $3.79/kg for $952
- Charolais cross weaner heifers from Proston sold for $3.70/kg, returning $819
- Angus weaner heifers from Gayndah sold for $742 at $3.64/kg
- Local Hereford cross weaner heifers sold to $3.62/kg for $848
The next Murgon sale will be held at Murgon Saleyards on Tuesday, June 2, at 8:00am.