September 25, 2019
Toowoomba Regional Council is encouraging residents across the region to nominate groups and people who go above and beyond in the service of others for a 2020 Australia Day award.
TRC Australia Day co-ordinating committee chair Cr Mike Williams said residents needed to lodge nominations by October 31 to allow local Australia Day committees time to review and judge categories in readiness for next year’s community celebrations and award presentations.
“While Council plays a part in organising these functions, it is entirely up to the community to nominate the people they consider are most deserving of recognition,” Cr Williams said.
Cr Williams said residents could complete the nomination form online
Award categories include:
- Citizen of the Year (for a person older than 26)
- Citizen of the Year – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
- Young Citizen of the Year (for a nominee under 26)
- Cultural award
- Sports award (senior and junior), and
- Community group/event of the year.
Inquiries about joining a committee or the awards can be directed to Council’s Community Development officers by calling 13-18-72.