March 1, 2019
Tom Alford Oval was a sea of colour and action last weekend with 32 teams chasing glory in Kingaroy Senior Soccer Club’s annual Soccer Sevens carnival.
The popular two-day carnival returned with a bang after its enforced absence last year.
The threat of Cyclone Oma hovering off the coast caused a couple of early withdrawals, but the event still attracted 17 men’s, six women’s and nine Over 35s teams … adding a nice filip to the South Burnett economy.
Players came from Chinchilla, the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and Bundaberg.
Games started early on Saturday and continued on Sunday morning.
Teams earned three points for a win, two for a draw and one point for scoring three or more goals in a game (win or lose).
Supporters watched from the clubhouse and colourful shade tents along the sidelines.
Kingaroy Senior Soccer Club president Gary Tessmann said it had been a great weekend.
He thanked Mick North, Thomas Carroll and Danielle Maudsley for the “tremendous” amount of work they had put into organising the carnival.
He also thanked all the referees who had kept the weekend running smoothly, with games being played in good spirit.
“It was a great display of football across the whole weekend,” Gary said.
Cheques were presented to the winners and runners-up in the Men’s and Women’s division.
Merry Men successfully defended their title from the 2017 Carnival, taking out the Men’s final over Rockville Blue in a keenly fought game.
The Women’s final went to a penalty shootout, with Intoxicate – which included Barambah Bears players – defeating Virginia 2-1.
The Over 35s were only playing for beer (about one can per day …) but that didn’t lower the intensity of the final.
Agonisms, which also included South Burnett players, defeated Wests Wanderers 3-2 in a penalty shootout.
* * *
* * *
Men’s Quarter Finals
- Merry Men 2 def. Chinchilla 1
- Rockville 1 def. Kawana 0
- Surface Apollo 3 def. Venner Street 0
- Rockville Blue 2 def. Barambah 0
- Rockville Blue 2 def. Rockville 1
- Merry Men 2 def. Surface Apollo 0
- Merry Men def. Rockville Blue 2-0
* * *
- Intoxicate 4 def. Gunnettes 0
- Virginia 2 def. Rockville 1
- Intoxicate def. Virginia in a penalty shootout after finishing 1-all
* * *
Over 35s Semi-Finals
- Agonisms def. Hervey Bay in a penalty shootout after finishing 3-all
- Wests Wanderers def. Fossils 1-0
Overs 35s Final
- Agonisms def. Wests Wanderers in a penalty shootout after finishing 0-0