Countdown To Historic League Clash
Nathan Blacklock, Leo Dynevor, Craig Teevan and Troy Byers were surrounded by young fans when they visited St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School on Thursday (Photo: ILOL)
February 8, 2019
Excitement is building for Saturday’s action-packed day of rugby league action – and a huge dose of NRL nostalgia – at Jack O’Chin Oval in Cherbourg.
International Legends of Rugby League tour organiser Troy Byers and players Nathan Blacklock, Leo Dynevor, Craig Teevan and Terry Matterson have been busy over the past few days with a host of engagements to raise awareness about the big clash between the Cherbourg Hornets Legends and the Australian NRL Legends.
The four have been visiting schools, fielding radio interviews, playing golf and generally spreading the message throughout the Cherbourg and Murgon areas.
Troy said two more players had been added to the Australian Legends line-up since the last list southburnett.com.au printed, ie. Scott Hill and Manly legend Cliff Lyons.
The only other possible change was a question mark – understandably – over former NQ Cowboy Matt Bowen who lives in Townsville, hard hit by floods.
The Legends of Rugby League excitement will continue to build on Friday afternoon.
Fans will be able to meet the players (and collect autographs) at a special community afternoon being held at the Cherbourg Sports Centre from 4:00pm to 7:00pm, organised by Cherbourg Council.
* * *
The big day of rugby league action will get under way at 9:30am at Jack O’Chin Oval with junior games involving youngsters from Murgon, Wondai and Cherbourg.
This well be followed by a Primary School game between Cherbourg and Murgon; and a High School game between Murgon and Kingaroy.
- 12:50pm – Cherbourg Hornets v Oakey Redbelly Blacks
- 2:00pm – Cherbourg Hornettes v Brisbane Natives women
- 3:00pm – Gyemore Shield – Cherbourg Hornets v Brisbane Natives
- 5:00pm – Legends of League – Cherbourg Hornets Legends v Australian NRL Legends
Gates open at 9:00am.
Tickets are adults $12, children $5, family $25
* * *
Murgon Business & Development Association
Australian NRL Legends
The revised line-up for the Australian Legends Team:
- Nathan Blacklock – ex-Australia, NSW Country, Sydney Roosters, St George-Illawarra, Hull
- Kerry Boustead – ex-Australia, Queensland, Eastern Suburbs Roosters, Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, North Sydney Bears, Hull
- Matt Bowen – ex-Australia, Queensland, Indigenous All-Stars, NQ Cowboys, Wigan
- Kevin Campion – ex-Ireland, Queensland, GC Seagulls, St George Dragons, Adelaide Rams, Brisbane Broncos, Auckland Warriors, NQ Cowboys
- Noel Goldthorpe – ex-NSW, Wests Magpies, St George Dragons, Hunter Mariners, Adelaide Rams, NQ Cowboys
- Ashley Harrison – ex-Queensland, NRL All-Stars, Brisbane Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Sydney Roosters, GC Titans
- Ben Hannant – ex-Australia, Queensland, Sydney Roosters, Brisbane Broncos, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, NQ Cowboys
- Scott Hill – ex-Australia, NSW, NSW Country, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Hunter Mariners, Melbourne Storm, Harlequins (London Broncos)
- John Hopoate – ex-Australia, Tonga, NSW, NSW City, Manly-Warringah Sea-Eagles, Wests Tigers, Northern Eagles
- Stuart Kelly – ex-Queensland, GC Seagulls, Parramatta Eels, Brisbane Broncos
- Cliff Lyons – ex-Australia, NSW, City Origin, North Sydney Bears, Manly-Warringah Sea-Eagles, Leeds, Sheffield Eagles
- Terry Matterson – ex-NSW, Eastern Suburbs Roosters, Brisbane Broncos, London Broncos
- Bryan Neibling – ex-Australia, Queensland, Valleys, Redcliffe Dolphins, Brisbane Broncos, Hull
- Robbie O’Davis – ex-Australia, Queensland, Newcastle Knights
- Scott Prince – ex-Australia, Queensland, Indigenous All-Stars, NQ Cowboys, Brisbane Broncos, Wests Tigers, GC Titans
- Craig Teevan – ex-Queensland, Brisbane Broncos, Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, SQ Crushers, GC Chargers
- Chris Walker – ex-Queensland, Brisbane Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Sydney Roosters, Melbourne Storm, GC Titans, Parramatta Eels
Plus Steve Lacey, Jim (Sellwood) Adcock, Mark Smith, Lance Rea and Mark McDonald
* * *
Sellwood Constructions / Total Building Solutions
Cherbourg Hornets Legends
The squad to take on the impressive line-up of ex-NRL stars is:
Frank Malone, Arnold Murray, Warren Collins, Duncan Cobbo, Errol Simpson, Eric Law, Henry Hegarty, Stan Murray, Noel Georgetown, Ken Bone, Gordron Wragge, Les Wragge, Simon Fisher, Laurie Bond and Peter Carlo.
Staff: Sandra Morgan, Bessie Bond and and Hazel Speedy
* * *
The League Legends also received a warm welcome when they visited Murgon State School (top), Cherbourg State School (middle) and Moffatdale State School on Thursday (Photos: ILOL)