Feeders, Weaners In Demand
The market for export cattle was easier at the latest fortnightly Murgon cattle sale on December 4, but feeder types and better lines of weaner steers and heifers remained firm
December 5, 2018
by Pratt Agencies
950 head were yarded in Murgon on Tuesday, December 4 for the fortnightly liveweight sale, where export cattle were easier across the board.
Feeder types remained firm, as did better lines of weaner steers and heifers.
The market for lesser quality lighter steers and heifers was tougher.
Cattle were drawn from Biloela, Mundubbera, Mt Perry, Coringa, Gayndah, Yarraman, Nanango, Kingaroy, Kilkivan and locally.
Heavy Bulls sold to $2.60/kg and $2336
- Bullocks topped at $2.90/kg for $1730
- Cows over 500kg sold to $2.35/kg, averaging $2.27/kg
- Cows 400–500kg sold to $2.33/kg
- Lighter Cows topped at $2.10/kg
- Angus steers from Manyung sold to $1452 at $2.92/kg
- Droughtmaster steers from Crownthorpe weighing 401kg sold to $3.09/kg and $1241
- 421kg Charolais steers from Wondai sold for $1223 at $2.90/kg
- 455kg Blonde steers from Kilkivan sold for $2.90/kg, returning $1294
- Murray Grey steers from Stonelands returned $1125 at $2.85/kg and 395kg
- 393kg Brahman cross steers from Biloela sold for $1104 and $2.83/kg
- 2 pens of Droughtmaster cross steers from Merlwood sold for $1104 ($2.83) and $846.00 ($2.82)
- 320kg South Devon cross steers from Nanango sold to $2.80/kg to return $900
- Charbray steers from Tansey weighing 257kg sold to $2.96/kg and $761
- Local Droughtmaster steers sold to $800 at $2.81/kg
- Braford cross weaner steers from Mt Perry sold for $648 and $2.81/kg
- Light Brangus weaner steers form Brigooda sold to $554
- 387kg Santa heifers from Goomeri sold to $2.58/kg and $1000
- Droughtmaster cross heifers from Mondure weighing 355kg sold to $914 at $2.57/kg
- 340kg Droughtmaster heifers from Goomeri sold for $2.54/kg, returning $866
- 298kg Angus heifers from Yarraman sold for $2.45/kg, returning $731
- 230kg Braford heifers from Mt Perry sold for $579 at $2.50/kg
- A few cows and calves were yarded, selling to $1000
The last sale for 2018 will be held at the Murgon Saleyards on Tuesday, December 18 at 8:00am.