Community Fun Day This Saturday!
The RACQ LifeFlight helicopter takes off from a South Burnett traffic crash site … funds raised on Friday and Saturday will support the rescue service
August 17, 2018
The South Burnett’s huge annual fundraiser for the LifeFlight Foundation promises heaps of fun for all the family this weekend!
The South Burnett Community Fun Day was launched last year by Kingaroy resident Cardell Turner to thank LifeFlight for saving his life after suffered a serious motorcycle crash in September 2016.
The inaugural event raised an amazing $14,000 for the helicopter rescue service.
This year Cardell has been joined a organising committee of volunteers, and they hope to raise even more.
So what’s happening?
The weekend is kicking off tonight (Friday) with a dinner at Kingaroy Showgrounds with live music by Skin n’ Bone.
It should be great night with tucker prepared by Wayne Bushell and Eddie McGregor as well a charity auction … but, sorry, all 140 tickets have already been sold!
However, there’s no excuse to miss out on the big Community Fun Day on Saturday which has plenty of activities for the whole family to enjoy.
A huge day has been planned at the Kingaroy Showgrounds, including a Teddy Bear’s picnic, face painting, the Big Hull Top Gun challenge, markets and much more.
* * *
Here’s the program for the day (all funds raised will go to LifeFlight):
- 9:00am – Teddy Bears Picnic. Bring along your Teddy for a fun morning of stories, games, cupcakes and laughter. Meet Chief the LifeFlight Bear and see the special LifeFlight bears on display at the picnic. There’ll be face painting, jumping castles, a merry-go-round and lots more fun things to do, starting from $2 per activity.
- 10:00am – Official Opening. Official opening by Opposition Leader and Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington and a Welcome To Country by Cherbourg Mayor Arnold Murray.
- 10:00am – LifeFlight Recipients Recognition Walk. A short walk by past patients of LifeFlight, and family and friends of people who have benefited from the service. This will be a demonstration of appreciation to LifeFlight as well as a way to raise awareness of how many lives the helicopter rescue service has helped.
- From 10:00am – Classic Car Show. A display for motoring enthusiasts to enjoy. Free entry for spectators. Just $5 registration to enter your vehicle and go into the running to win a $300 prize from Shannon’s Insurance.
- From 10:00am-4:00pm – Bill Hull Mazda Top Gun Challenge. Watch teams compete in a tug-o-war, the Mazda BT50 Car Pull and a Top Gun Obstacle Course. There’ll be school teams, local business teams, club teams etc. Come along and cheer them along!
- From 2:00pm – Live music on stage from local band RiSA
- 3:00pm – Bar and barbecue will open and prizes will be presented.
- Kingaroy Rotary’s Friendship Markets will be running all day.
- There’ll also be displays by St John’s Lutheran School whipcrackers, Ally Walker Dance Academy and Kingaroy Dance Academy.
* * *
Ever wanted to dunk a police officer? Here’s your chance …
Kingaroy Officer-In-Charge, Senior Sergeant David Tierney, will be taking the plunge in the dunk tank at 12:30pm.
Other dunking tank targets include Cr Gavin Jones, Peta Clarkson from Goodstart Early Learning and KSHS maths teacher Gerard Faulkner.
The day’s activities will wind down about 5:00pm.
Kingaroy OIC Senior Sergeant David Tierney, former police prosecutor Wayne Bushell, KSHS maths teacher Gerard Faulkner and Cr Gavin Jones are some of the people you can dunk at this year’s RACQ LifeFlight Family Fun Day on August 18