Crusaders Vanquish Warriors … Again
The triumphant Murgon Crusaders team after their 2017 A Grade Grand Final win
Murgon batsman Lehman Brunjes helped seal the win with 86 runs; he also picked up the SBCA's trophy for Highest Score during 2016-17
March 27, 2017
In almost a carbon copy of last year’s A Grade South Burnett cricket grand final, Murgon Crusaders proved too strong for Wooroolin Warriors at the weekend.
The pair met in a two-day Grand Final last year; this year’s clash was a single day 50-over encounter at Murgon Showgrounds.
Considering the oval had hosted cattle, horses events and a rodeo just a week earlier as part of the Murgon Show, the ground looked in reasonably good condition.
Murgon batted first with Graham Brown (33) and Jason Webber (30) setting a solid opening partnership.
However, Lehman Brunjes took control when he came in at No 3, scoring 86 runs, including 15 fours and one six.
Crusaders were all out for 217 in the 44th over.
Murgon bowlers Jamian Currin and Jared Sippel were lethal at the start of the Warriors’ innings, taking the first six wickets for less than 80 runs.
Warriors’ batsmen Allen Ledger (26) and Taylor Herrmann (28) gave supporters some hope as the season drew to a close.
Warriors were all out for 125 in the 35th over.
Crusaders won by 92 runs.
The highs and lows of cricket ... Warriors' batsman Mitch Clark, above, hits a ball to the boundary; below, a few balls later, Crusaders are celebrating as Clark is caught by Lehman Brunjes off a Jared Sippel delivery
Allen Ledger hits a four for Warriors ... part of the fightback by the Warriors' tail
* * *
* * *
The South Burnett Cricket Association’s A Grade trophies were presented after the Grand Final:
- A Grade Cricketer of the Year – Graham Brown – 1280 points
- Young Gun Award – Jared Sippel
- Batting Aggregate – Graham Brown – 680 runs
- Batting Average – Tom Patton – 75.33
- Bowling Aggregate – Graham Brown – 29 wickets
- Bowling Average – Kieran Askin – 13.48
- Wicketkeeper Dismissals – Justin Labinsky – 13
- Most Catches – Andrew Askin – 13
- Highest Score – Lehman Brunjes – 131 retired
- Highest Partnership – Graham Brown/Lehman Brunjes – 179 for the 2nd wicket
- Best Bowling Figures – Taylor Herrmann – 7/11
Graham Brown ... A Grade Cricketer of the Year
Jared Sippel ... Young Gun Award
Kieran Askin ... Bowling Average trophy
Andrew Askin ... Most Catches trophy
Taylor Herrmann ... Best Bowling
Umpire Bevan Badke presented Tom Patton with the Umpires' Award