The South Burnett Senior Sportsperson Of The Year Australia Day Award recognises a person from the region who has made an outstanding effort in sport.
In 2015, the nominees were:
- Carol Watters
- Nominated for and won all eight eligible/possible categories of competition – Murgon Bowls Club – 2014
- Champion of Club Champion Ladies Pairs and Mixed Pairs at district level
- Competed at the State Titles
- Murgon Ladies Bowls Club Secretary/ Treasurer
- District Ladies Bowls Club Treasurer
- Mentor for bowlers with a disability
- Manager of the Qld Disability Championship team
- Raymond Frahm
- Achieved success in many of Murgon Bowls Clubs championships
- Attracts playing members to the club
- Assists Greens Director in preparation and maintenance of green
- Serves on bar duty and assists with card distribution on carnival and locally sponsored trophy days
- Assisted in the success of Friday Night Barefoot Bowls
- Noel Cheshire
- Mentors children with practical tennis skills, stressing importance of good sportsmanship
- Number one team for his age group in the Hobart Australian Seniors
- Won multiple events across Gympie, Tewantin and Toowoomba Doubles
- Selected to compete in Canberra at the Australian Seniors Teams
- Represented Queensland in every State of Australia and competed in New Zealand and Ireland
- Highest ranking score doubles in Australia is 3 and highest ranking singles is 7
Winner: Noel Cheshire
Noel Cheshire grew up surrounded by accomplished tennis players. Over the past 60 years tennis has been an extremely important focus for Noel and his active presence throughout the South Burnett communities, Australia and overseas is widely acknowledged.
Living on a large property at Windera, Noel has managed his time to contribute to the local school sharing his experience and love of sport.
Noel is a member of the South Burnett Tennis Club, Windera Tennis Club and Tennis Seniors Australia. His impressive tennis career has seen him win countless titles.
Noel’s determination, sportsmanship and friendly demeanour show his passion for the sport, making him a very productive ambassador for the region and the sport of tennis throughout Australia.
- Joan Is Our Citizen Of The Year
- Local Achiever Awards
- Senior Cultural Award
- Junior Cultural Award
- Community Organisation Of The Year
- Junior Sportsperson Of The Year
- Senior Sportsperson Of The Year
- Sports Coach, Official Or Administrator
- Volunteer Of The Year
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Young Citizen Of The Year
- Citizen Of The Year