The South Burnett Junior Cultural Australia Day Award recognises an outstanding young person who has contributed to the region’s culture.
In 2015, the nominees were:
- Amie Mason
- Member of the Kingaroy State High School Concert Band
- Participated in the Kingaroy Eisteddfod, Anzac Day ceremonies, school and community events
- Member of the Concert Band that qualified for the State Finals for Fanfare
- Has artwork showing in the local galleries
- Environmental Committee Chairperson for 2014 – Kingaroy State High School
- Winner of the Darling Downs South-West Division Creative Generation Excellence Award in Visual Art, with her artwork to be shown at the Gallery of Modern Art in Brisbane this year
- Recipient of the South Burnett Regional Council Cultural Bursary Award
- Kirsten Upton
- Involved in the South Burnett Regional Council delegation that visited the Netherlands
- Received the Academic Award for excellence in visual art
- Received the Max Walters Trophy for Excellence in Visual Arts 2014
- Murgon State High School captain 2014
- Participated in numerous school related activities, sports and events
- Tori Somers
- Has recorded an original song and music video with Andrew Beckett
- Winner of the Country Music Stampede and received Troy Cassar-Daley Scholarship to the Academy of Country Music
- Has won over 100 awards, has over 70 trophies and countless certificates and medallions over her five years of competing in the competitions
- Placed second in the junior female section of the Queensland Country Music Festivals Champion of Champions event
- Jason Hanwright
- Choir librarian, leading the choir and member of the concert band for performances at the Kingaroy and Toowoomba Eisteddfods
- Member of the Kingaroy State High School Concert Band when they made the State finals for Fanfare
- Assists backstage for the Dance Showcase and drama productions
- Contributed to the english tutoring programs as tutor for the younger students
- Recipient of the Timothy Hughes Memorial Encouragement Award for Music
Winner: Tori Somers
Tori Somers has contributed to the cultural life of our region with her outstanding achievements in music.
Over her five years competing, she has earned herself over 100 awards.
Tori has had an extraordinary amount of success over this time.
Winning the junior section of the Country Music Showdown at the RNA show, Tori earned herself the Troy Casser-Daly Scholarship to the Tamworth Academy of Country Music and will be heading to the Academy this month.
Tori also won the Homestead Youth Talent Expo for vocal solo and placed second in the Junior Female section of the prestigious Queensland Country Music Festivals Champion of Champions event.
Tori has now recorded an original song and music video with Andrew Beckett at Bullroarer Studios in Murgon and her performances are now at a national level, showcasing musical talent from South Burnett throughout Australia.
- Joan Is Our Citizen Of The Year
- Local Achiever Awards
- Senior Cultural Award
- Junior Cultural Award
- Community Organisation Of The Year
- Junior Sportsperson Of The Year
- Senior Sportsperson Of The Year
- Sports Coach, Official Or Administrator
- Volunteer Of The Year
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Young Citizen Of The Year
- Citizen Of The Year