November 28, 2023
Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington is disappointed the South Burnett has missed out on a program aimed to help older people feel more secure in their homes.
Mrs Frecklington wrote to Housing Minister Meaghan Scanlon in August expressing her concern that the majority of the Nanango Electorate had been overlooked for inclusion in the “Helping Seniors Secure their Homes” program.
“I have received complaints from local seniors who are disappointed they cannot access this support and I agree with their concerns,” Mrs Frecklington wrote.
“It seems unreasonable that in a region like the South Burnett, with a high percentage of people over the age of 65, and who face daily threats from an ongoing youth crime problem, that this program is not available to them.
“Across our region we have older people who have been attacked in their homes, and we have older people who live in constant fear of intruders.”
Under the “Helping Seniors Secure their Homes” program, eligible households in Cairns, Townsville, Mt Isa, Mareeba, Atherton Tablelands and Toowoomba can receive support for home security improvements, such as strengthening of door and window locks, installing or strengthening security screens, sensor lights, CCTV cameras and alarm systems.
Minister Scanlon’s reply on November 17 “noted” Mrs Frecklington’s ” request for the program to be extended to constituents of the Nanango electorate and confirm that the Department of Housing will consider the needs of all Queenslanders should the trial be recommended for further expansion”.
Mrs Frecklington said the safety of South Burnett seniors was still not a priority of the State Government.
“I am very disappointed that seniors in the South Burnett have been overlooked for this program,” Mrs Frecklington said.
“We all know there is a youth crime crisis happening right across our State, and the South Burnett is not immune.”