February 7, 2022
The team of volunteers from the Kingaroy Senior Soccer Club earned a well-deserved rest on Sunday night after one of the biggest Soccer Sevens carnivals seen in Kingaroy for years.
More than 500 players took part in the two-day pre-season carnival, competing in Men’s, Women’s and Over 35s categories.
Club volunteers had the huge job of preparing the grounds, sorting out the draws, organising the first aid and keeping the day running smoothly.
And volunteers from the Kingaroy Touch Association kept the canteen running.
Saturday was huge at Tom Alford Oval, with spectators and their colourful marquees crowded along the sidelines of the fields.
Many of the players and their spectators had travelled from the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Toowoomba, ensuring a busy night in Kingaroy ahead of Day 2.
But some of the most enthusiastic players and spectators didn’t have far to travel at all.
A group of Solomon Islanders and their friends, currently working at Swickers Kingaroy Bacon Factory, fielded three teams, and provided much encouragement from the sidelines during matches.
Unfortunately for the vocal local fans, their top team, Islanders 1, was knocked out in the Men’s semi-final.
Other local teams were also eliminated along the way, leaving the finals in all three competitions to be contested by visiting teams (see results, below)
* * *
- Sunshine Coast Wanderers Gold def. Rockville, 3-1
- Sunshine Coast Wanderers White def. Highfields, (penalty shootout)
- Sunshine Coast Wanderers White def. Sunshine Coast Wanderers Gold, 3-1
* * *
Over 35s Competition
- KSS Jets def. Hoof Hearted, (penalty shootout)
- Hawks Hasbeens def. Old Nuts, 3-0
- Hawks Hasbeens drew with KSS Jets (shootout declined)
* * *
- Kawana Bananas def. Corinthians 1, 2-0
- Surfers Paradise Apollo def. Wests Men, 1-0
- Tiger Kings def. KSS Jets, 1-0
- Islanders 1 def. Chinchilla, 2-0
- Tiger Kings def. Kawana Bananas, 4-1
- Surfers Paradise Apollo def. Islanders 1, 1-0
- Tiger Kings def. Surfers Paradise Apollo, 1-0