February 20, 2020
Police are warning the public following the theft of 20 litres of nitric acid from Mothar Mountain, near Gympie.
The acid, which was in an unlabelled white 20 litre container was stolen around midday on February 9 during a break-in at a mine site.
Police hold concerns for anyone who may have contact with the substance and are warning the public to not touch the container and immediately call Triple Zero (000) if located.
It is believed the container has a small leak in it posing a danger to whoever may handle it.
Nitric acid is a dangerous chemical that will cause serious burns, respiratory distress and can be fatal if ingested or accidentally spilled on the body.
Anyone with information is urged to contact police immediately.