May 6, 2018
The Northern Wide Bay Rangers – a combined South Burnett / North Burnett rugby league team – played well, but not well enough to make it into the finals, at the 47th Battalion Central Division carnival played at Glenholme Park in Toowoomba at the weekend.
In their first game, the Rangers were defeated 44-4 by eventual champions, the Sunshine Coast Falcons.
Nanango’s Drew Jackson put on the Rangers’ sole points.
Sunshine Coast’s points came via tries to Joel Bisset (2), Alex Copelin, Nat McGavin, Baidon Cooper, Blake Mara, Tom Rafter and Troy Mendham. Tyler Oxenham kicked six goals.
The Rangers’ second game was much closer with just a two-point margin separating the teams.
Central Highlands 18 defeated the Rangers 16.
Brady Roberts (Kingaroy), Blake Harvey (Nanango) and Mick Smallwood (Kingaroy) scored tries while Lachlin Smith (Nanango) kicked two goals.
Central Highlands’ tries were scored by Matthew Collins, Ned Garside and Junior Chong-Nee. Shae Cox kicked three goals.
- Bundaberg 26 d. Central Highlands 22
- Toowoomba d. Gladstone (forfeit)
- Rockhampton 12 d. South West Country 4
- South West Country d Gladstone (forfeit)
- Sunshine Coast 28 d. Bundaberg 10
- Toowoomba 12 d. Rockhampton 8
- Rockhampton 44 d. Bundaberg 6
- Plate Final – South West Country 18 d. Central Highlands 6
- Grand Final – Sunshine Coast Falcons 12 d. Toowoomba Clydesdales 8
The Grand Final was a replay of the 2017 47th Battalion Grand Final, but this year the Falcons came out on top.
The Central Crows representative team was named after the Grand Final but unfortunately no Rangers’ players were selected.