May 29, 2013
Saturday (June 1) is Rural Fire Service Day in Queensland, an opportunity to celebrate the dedication and commitment of the 34,000 men and women who volunteer in local brigades to help keep Queensland safe.
The volunteer arm of the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service covers 93 per cent of Queensland’s geographic area.
A number of local rural fire brigades will have open days or displays on Saturday:
- South Nanango – at the Nanango markets
- Cloyna – 4:00pm-7:00pm at the fire shed, 42 West Road, Cloyna
- McEuen – at the fire shed, 474 Cushnie Road, Wondai
- Ballogie, Coverty, Durong and Glencoe – 8:00am-2:00pm at the Ballogie fire shed, Chinchilla-Wondai Road
- Widgee – at the Widgee markets at the Widgee General Store, Gympie-Woolooga Road
The open days will allow visitors to meet members of their local brigades, gather information on bushfire survival plans and how to apply for fire permits.