June 25, 2012
By Martin Stern
Football South Burnett
Wests scored a relieving 2-0 win against Kingaroy rivals, Gunners, and their first win over them this season in the 1st Division game played at Kingaroy on Saturday afternoon.
Wests played their usual high possession game, however the difference this week is that their finishing was more accurate.
Gunners bolted out of the blocks and hit Wests with wave after wave of attacking football. Ryan Mooney and Anuwat (Ike) Sililat caused the Wests defence plenty of heartache. Wests slowly eased themselves back into the match holding possession in the midfield, but neither team were rewarded with a goal before halftime.
Wests started the second half and appeared to have a bit more venom in their attack, but it was a Gunners shot that deflected off the post and dispatched by some quick thinking Wests defence and a through ball to youngster Alex Dempster who gave Wests a 1-0 lead in the 61st minute.
At this stage of the game Gunners looked very vulnerable and seemed to be on the back foot against Wests, particularly in the midfield controlled by Marty Perrett.
In the 77th minute Joel Cooper scored from a close range shot to give Wests a 2-0 lead.
Wests continued to dominate a tired Gunners outfit who made a few promising counter attacks but with no reward. A very entertaining game.
Best for Wests were Marty Perrett, Thomas Carroll and Chris Boyes. Best for Gunners were Sam Murray, Anuwat Sililat and Reise Braund.
In Second Division, Wests snatched a 1-0 win over a hugely improved Gunners side with Mark Reith scoring his first goal for Wests.
Full results of Round 9 of the Evolution Solar Football League played in Kingaroy and Nanango on Saturday:
- 1st Div – Wests 2 (Alex Dempster 1, Joel Cooper 1), Gunners 0
- 2nd Div – Wests 1 (Mark Reith 1), Gunners 0
- Women’s – Wests 0, Gunnettes 0
- 1st Div – Nanango 3, Barambah 0 (on a forfeit)
- 2nd Div – (President’s Cup) Nanango 2 (Matthew Strack 2), Barambah 2 (Kevin Barnes 1, Brenden Kelly 1). Barambah won 4-3 on penalties.
- Women’s – Nanango 2 (Jacqui Downie 1, Cassie Kelly 1), Barambah 1 (Elle Mollenhauer 1)
There will be no Senior games next weekend because of the school holidays. Games resume at Kingaroy and Murgon on July 7.
- Related article: Barambah Win 2nd Division President’s Cup