
February 18, 2026
South Burnett residents hunting for accommodation during the current housing crisis will enjoy some new options, thanks to two motions passed unanimously at Wednesday’s South Burnett Regional Council meeting.
The motions were put forward by Cr Jane Erkens:
- That South Burnett Regional Council introduce a Temporary Planning Instrument to allow a landowner to reside in a temporary dwelling, provided it meets relevant health and safety standards, until the housing crisis is over. This Temporary Planning Instrument will be reviewed two years after it takes effect.
- That South Burnett Regional Council investigate a Temporary Planning Instrument, or a review of the Local Laws and compliance approach, for family occupation (or those who relate as family) of sheds or caravans with basic amenities during the housing crisis. The proposal seeks to enable property owners to provide safe accommodation for family members, or those who relate as family members, within existing or new sheds or caravans that contain basic, compliant sanitary facilities with Council adopting a supportive and proportionate compliance approach for the duration of the housing crisis. This to be reviewed two years after it takes effect.
Cr Erkens said there was a severe housing crisis within the South Burnett local government area, including a near absence of available rental accommodation.
Rental prices were exceeding the financial capacity of many local residents who had been renters all their lives.
She said there was no reasonable alternative housing available which meant families were being forced to live in cars, tents or public spaces.
Cr Erkens said preventing landowners from living on their own land under these conditions did not prevent homelessness.
And family members who sought to support relatives by allowing them to live in sheds or caravans were constrained by the interpretation of planning laws.
She said prohibiting safe, low-impact accommodation had shifted homeless families into less safe and less managed environments.
Council manager Simon Ginn said children living in non-standard accommodation could be at risk.
However, Cr Erkens said they were also at risk when living in tents in places such as Tipperary Flat, which were at risk of flooding or below-freezing temperatures in winter.
Cr Potter, who seconded the motions, admitted she had allowed family members in the past to sleep in a caravan in her driveway while they were waiting to secure permanent accommodation.
The changes remain subject to checks against State legislation and do not include commercial arrangements.




















