January 22, 2026

The advocacy group which represents Queensland dairy farmers, eastAUSmilk, says it is disappointed with the closure of the Lactalis processing plant in Brisbane but the decision “was expected”.

In a statemen released on Wednesday, vice president Waylon Barron said there had been a push to remove manufacturing in the South Brisbane precinct ahead of the 2032 Olympics.

“All milk from dairy farms in Queensland and far northern NSW will likely be processed at the Nambour Lactalis factory,” Mr Barron said.

“It is expected that Lactalis milk for the mid-North Coast and Hunter in NSW will be processed in Sydney.

“We expect that Lactalis’ suppliers in Queensland and northern NSW will continue to be looked after during the remainder of their contracts.”

Mr Barron said most of these contracts were set to expire in July next year.

“We also hope that Lactalis will continue to want our milk beyond July 2027,” he said.

Mr Barron said the decision raised concerns about future competition and pressure on pricing.

“eastAUSmilk would be very concerned if competition reduces, forcing down pricing and forcing some farmers to consider ceasing production,” he said.

[UPDATED]


 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.