November 13, 2023
No charges have yet been laid after a string of car thefts in the Murgon area over the past week.
southburnett.com.au contacted Police Media on Monday seeking more information after six stolen vehicles were recovered in or near Cherbourg:
- A red Ford Falcon was stolen between 11:00pm and 1:25am last Tuesday/Wednesday, from Rewald Street, Murgon. It was later found burned out in Fisher Street, Cherbourg.
- A white Hyundai i30 was stolen between 9:30pm and 1:30am last Tuesday/Wednesday, from Taylor Street, Murgon. It was later found badly damaged in Murray Road, Cherbourg.
- A white Toyota CH-R was stolen from Gore Street, Murgon, about 1:35am on Friday. Police have linked this vehicle to a break-in at a business in Youngman Street, Kingaroy, about 9:50pm on Friday. CCTV captured video of a number of people getting out of the vehicle with their faces concealed. They forced entry into the business and stole drinks, chocolates and confectionery. Police used a tyre deflation device to disable the vehicle on the Bunya Highway at Murgon, but the occupants fled into bushland.
- A black Mercedes S430 and a blue Falcon XR6 were stolen from Gore Street, Murgon, between midnight and 5:00am on Saturday. The XR6 was found abandoned shortly after 5:00am on Saturday in Fisher Street, Cherbourg, while the Mercedes-Benz was found burning in Cemetery Road a short time later. A number of people were seen running from the area.
- A white Mazda BT50 stolen from an address in Camp Hill, Brisbane, on Sunday, was stopped by police using a tyre deflation device in Broadway Street, Cherbourg, at 2:00am on Monday but the occupants evaded arrest.
A spokesperson said police had “a number of active lines of inquiry” they were pursuing in relation to these and other recently reported offences.