Mike Horan
Darling Downs Regional Health Service Board Chairman
Mike Horan
May 1, 2013

The Darling Downs Hospital and Health Service Board has given the go-ahead for more detailed plans to be drawn up for a makeover of Kingaroy Hospital’s cramped Emergency Section.

Board Chairman Mr Mike Horan said efficiencies implemented across the health region had paid a dividend which allowed the Health Board to allocate funds for several projects.

Mr Horan said preliminary plans for a new Emergency Department at Kingaroy had already been drawn up, but now the go-ahead had been given for more detailed plans and costings to be investigated.

“When we know how much it will cost us, we can start to try to source the funds to make it possible,” he said.

Mr Horan said the Board saw a “real need” for these improvements at Kingaroy Hospital.

He said the existing Emergency Section was incredibly cramped and was a difficult space for doctors and nurses to work in.

The expanded area would have more cubicles and resuscitation bays which would give the medical staff adequate space and also improve patient privacy.

The Board, which met in Kingaroy yesterday, also allocated an extra $3 million for elective surgery at Toowoomba Hospital.

This will provide about 200 extra operations in Category 2 (semi-urgent) and Category 3 (non-urgent) which will also benefit South Burnett residents.

“The Board is determined to reduce the number of long waits as far as possible by June 30. So the Toowoomba Hospital has already begun booking extra surgical lists,” Mr Horan said.

* * *

This is the second time that the Health Board has met in Kingaroy since it was formed.

Members visited Kingaroy Hospital and spoke to staff, and also inspected the old Farrhome premises as part of a discussion about the future use of the building.

Mr Horan said no decision had been made as yet but suggestions under consideration included its use as a renal dialysis unit or as specialist outpatients rooms.

Board members also met with representatives from the South Burnett Regional Council and the Board of the South Burnett Private Hospital as well as local doctors, representatives from the Hospital Auxiliary, Medicare Local and Orana.