- Today is Queensland Day, the day that recognises Queensland's separation from New South Wales and its foundation as an independent mainland state on June 6, 1859. On that day, Queen Victoria signed the Letters Patent that brought Queensland into being and appointed our first Governor, Sir George Bowen. An Order In Council which gave the State its first Constitution was also issued that day to make the new State fully self-governing. This year marks Queensland's 162nd birthday. Queensland Day has been officially celebrated since 1981, but it's never gained as much traction as other celebrations like Australia Day or the Queen's Birthday - both of which are gazetted public holidays - and our region won't be doing anything particularly special to mark it.
2021 Burnett Bridal Showcase - Kingaroy
- The annual Burnett Bridal Showcase will be held at Hillview Cottages at 297 Birt Road north of Kingaroy from 10:00am to 2:00pm today. The Showcase will provide everything brides need to help plan their big day, and all attendees at this free event will receive a Bridal Bag and a Bridal Guide, as well as a free tour of the region's newest wedding reception centre. Many different wedding specialists will also be on hand to provide information about the different services they offer, and everyone is welcome!
Songbirds Of The Fabulous 40s - Nanango
- The Nanango Theatre Company will be presenting Songbirds of the Fabulous 40s (performed by Linda Hall and Julee-Anne Bell) at their playhouse in Elk Street, Nanango at 3:00pm this afternoon. Linda and Julie will be performing all the great swing hits of the WWII period but tickets - which include afternoon tea - are strictly limited. They can be booked online or by phoning Brad on 0409 895 527.
Timbertowns Woodworkers - Blackbutt
- The Timbertowns Woodworkers group will be holding their regular Sunday morning meeting at the Blackbutt Showgrounds in Bowman Road, Blackbutt from 8:30am until around 12:00 noon today. New members who are interested in learning woodwork are always welcome and you can obtain more details by phoning Marcia on (07) 4170-0389
High Tea At Dimities - Wondai
- Dimities Cottage at 49 Haly Street in Wondai (opposite the art gallery) will be hosting one of their legendary High Teas from 10:00am to around noon this morning. Cost is just $15 per head but a booking is essential to help plan the catering: (07) 4168-5744.
Sunday Bingo - Wondai
- Bingo games will be held at the Wondai RSL in Mackenzie Street, Wondai this afternoon, with eyes down from 1:30pm. There will be 3 jackpots and 15 games on offer, and the kitchen will be open for light meals. Proceeds will go to help Wondai RSL veterans. More details? Phone (07) 4168-5297.
- The Kumbia and District Historical Society's museum, located in the Federation Heritage Centre behind Kumbia Hall in Bell Street, will be open from 1:30pm to 3:30pm this afternoon. The museum contains an excellent photographic display of local history and is well worth a visit. More details? Phone Josie on (07) 4164-4384 or Gayle on (07) 4164-4175.
Yarraman Country Music Friends
- The Country Music Friends will be holding their first Sunday of the month informal concert at the Yarraman Community Hall in Browne Street from 1:00pm this afternoon. New players are always very welcome and the $4 admission fee (U16s are free) includes a great afternoon tea. More details? Phone Jenny on (07) 4163-2469.
- The monthly Linville Markets will be held at Linville Hall in George Street from 7:00am to around noon today. The markets offer a variety of stalls, along with a breakfast BBQ. New stallholders are always welcome, too. More details? Phone 0402-845-186.
Sub-Chamber Finals - Nanango
- The South Burnett Sub-Chamber Finals for the Stud Beef Young Judges & Paraders and Prime Beef Young Judges competitions will be held at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street, Nanango today. Spectators are very welcome and there's no admission.
Sunday Poker - Kingaroy
- Sunday afternoon poker games will be played at Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy today. Registrations start at 2:00pm and play begins at 2:30pm. All games are free to play and there are prizes for first, second and third. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
Open Mic Jam Session & Social Bowls - Kilkivan
- The Kilkivan Bowls Club in Crescent Street, Kilkivan will be holding an Open Mic Jam Session hosted by Karen Thomsen from 1:00pm to around 5:00pm this afternoon. The club's bar will open at 1:00pm, hot food will be available from 1:30pm, and social bowls will be happening on the greens as well. More details? Phone (07) 5484-1270.