Tuesday, 05 November 2019
Add your event
Melbourne Cup DayToday is the first Tuesday in November: Melbourne Cup Day. This is a gazetted public holiday in Victoria and an unofficial public holiday virtually everywhere else in Australia. While nearly all businesses in the South Burnett will attempt to trade as normal - and all government and public offices will be open for the daily grind - the majority of people will either be taking a bit of time out or abandoning any pretence of following a normal day's routine from about noon onwards. As usual, the South Burnett will be celebrating the occasion with a number of Melbourne Cup Day functions along with the Kumbia Race Club's annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting (see entry immediately below) - a really great South Burnett picnic race meeting that's become something quite special to all of us over the years.
47th Annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting - Kumbia
- The Kumbia Racing Club will be holding its 47th Annual Melbourne Cup Day Race Meeting at the Kumbia racetrack from about 9:00am this morning through until 5:00pm this afternoon. This very popular 5-card event is the only live Cup Day race meeting in the South Burnett and it always attracts a great crowd. There'll be Fashions of the Field parade with great prizes (this year's theme is pink to support the McGrath Foundation). There'll also be a bar, BBQ, and the Luncheon Hall in operation plus full Sky-TV race meeting coverage, a vigorous betting ring, and big screen coverage of that other race meeting in Melbourne. Admission is just $10 for adults and $5 for concessions, and a bus will be running from Kingaroy's Carrollee Hotel for people who've booked seats at the pub. More details? Contact the Race Club Secretary on (07) 4163-7200.
Melbourne Cup Lunch - Murgon
- The Murgon Services Club in Lamb Street will be running a $24 per head Melbourne Cup Lunch from noon onwards today. Guests can enjoy a glass of bubbly on arrival; a cold meats and salads buffet lunch; a free mystery bet and sweeps. There'll also be lucky door and best dressed prizes, and a courtesy bus will be running too. You can book luncheon tickets by phoning (07) 4168-1819.
Pink Melbourne Cup Lunch - Proston
- Have fun on Melbourne Cup Day and also help to Pink Up The South Burnett! The Proston QCWA will be holding a Pink Melbourne Cup Lunch from 10:00am today at the Proston Community Hall in Rodney Street. There'll be Fashions of the Field prizes (for men and women - dress to a pink theme!) along with raffles, sweeps and a licensed bar. Tickets are just $20 per head and include a great two-course meal. Everyone is welcome! More info? Phone Coral on 0429-689-558.
Melbourne Cup Lunch - Kingaroy
- The Carrollee Hotel in King Street, Kingaroy will be holding a $24.90 per headf buffet Melbourne Cup Lunch from around noon today. There'll also be a Fashions On The Fields competition and sweeps, along with big screen coverage of the race. Ladies will also receive a complimentary glass of bubbly on arrival. You can book tickets at the hotel or by phoning (07) 4162-1055.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch from noon to 3:00pm today to support the McGrath Foundation. For $25 per head, guests can enjoy a great buffet lunch and big screen coverage of the race. There'll also be sweeps; raffles; prizes for the best dressed lady in pink, best dressed male and best hat; and a lucky door prize. Mozzie and The Frog will be providing live entertainment too, and everyone is welcome! More details? Bookings? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Nanango
- Nanango RSL in George Street, Nanango will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch from noon to around 3:00pm today. For $35 per head, guests will be met with a glass of bubbly, a sweep ticket and an antipasto platter on arrival, followed by lunch; live entertainment from Amber Goldsmith; big screen coverage of the race; lots of fun games; and prizes for the best dressed, plus sweeps and discounts. Everyone is welcome. More details? Bookings? Phone the RSL on (07) 4163-1375.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Murgon
- The Royal Hotel at the corner of Lamb and Gore Streets, Murgon will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch from 11:00am to 3:00pm today. For $20 per head, guests can enjoy a roast meal plus sweets; sweeps; raffles; winning jockey's colours and Fashions Of The Field. The lunch is a fundraiser for the McGrath Foundation and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4168-1799.
Melbourne Cup Lunch - Blackbutt
- The Radnor Hotel in Coulson Street, Blackbutt will be marking Melbourne Cup Day with lunchtime specials, sweeps and big screen coverage of the race. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4163-0203.
Melbourne Cup Day Lunch - Maidenwell
- The Maidenwell Trading Post in Pool Street, Maidenwell will be hosting a Melbourne Cup Day Lunch from noon today. For $25 per head, guests can enjoy a two course buffet (BYO refreshments) and there'll also be prizes for the best hair piece, closest colour, a lucky door prize and sweeps. More details? Bookings? Phone Trading Post on (07) 4164-6166.
Melbourne Cup At The Palace - Nanango
- The Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango will be holding a Melbourne Cup Day function with a difference from noon today. For $25 per head, guests will be met with a drink on arrival, canapes and casino chips for a fun afternoon of gaming. $2 from every ticket will be donated to a local school, fundraiser or charity, and there'll also be auctions and prizes for the best dressed patrons. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Beau at the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
Social Bowls - Nanango
- The Nanango Bowls Club in Henry Street, Nanango will be holding social lawn bowls games from 12:30pm this afternoon. Dress standard is mufti and new players are very welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-3363
Yarraman Morning Card Games
- Heritage House at 26 Millar Street in Yarraman will be hosting its weekly Tuesday morning 500 card games from 10:00am to around 1:00pm today, followed by a light lunch. Playing fees - which include lunch and a lucky door prize ticket - are just $5. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Heritage House on (07) 4163-8111.
Kingaroy Croquet Club
- The Kingaroy Croquet Club will be playing croquet games at the rear of the Kingaroy Cricket Club in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers) from 9:00am to around 11:30am this morning. New members are always welcome. More details? Phone (07) 4163-6022.
Tuesday Night Trivia - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy will be holding its regular Tuesday Night Trivia games this evening. Registrations start at 6:30pm and play starts at 7:00pm. Registration is just $2 and play is in teams of six. More details from the RSL: (07) 4162-1755.
Blackbutt Singers - Yarraman
- The Blackbutt Singers will holding their regular Tuesday morning practice session at the Yarraman Community Hall in Browne Street, Yarraman from 9:30am to around noon this morning. New members are very welcome. More details? Call Judy on (07) 4170-0880.
Blackbutt Country Crafters
- The Blackbutt Country Crafters will be holding their regular Tuesday morning meeting at the Uniting Church Hall in Coulson Street, Blackbutt from 9:30am to 2:00pm today. The group caters for people interested in crafts and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone June on (07) 4170-0054 or Roslyn on (07) 4163-0682
Yarraman Indoor Bowls
- The Yarraman Indoor Bowls Club will be holding their regular Tuesday morning meeting at the Lutheran Church Hall in McDaniel Street, Yarraman at 9:30am this morning. New members are always welcome.
Blackbutt Car Enthusiasts Club
- The Blackbutt Car Enthusiasts Club will be holding its first Tuesday of the month meeting at the Blackbutt RSL at the corner of Muir and Douglas Streets, Blackbutt at 7:00pm tonight. The club is for motoring enthusiasts - any make, model and vintage are welcome - and in addition to sharing their love of motoring, members take part in monthly runs and attend other local events for Show & Shines. New members are always welcome! More details? Phone Peter on (07) 4170-0289, Chris on 0427-782-573 or Dave on 0499-258-881.
Elgin Vale QCWA Meeting
- The Elgin Vale branch of the QCWA will be holding their monthly meeting at the Elgin Vale QCWA Rooms at the corner of Manumbar Road and Porters Road, Nanango from 10:00am to around 12:00 noon today. New members are always very welcome! More details? Phone Lois on (07) 4162-3824.
Chatty Craft Evening
- A Chatty Craft Evening will be held at the QCWA Rooms at 122 Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy from 6:00pm to 8:00pm tonight. This free social evening is held on the first Tuesday of each month (except January) and it allows women to get together with other women interested in crafts, forge new friendships and have a great time. Simply bring along a craft you'd like to work on and a plate of food to share with a cuppa. More details? Phone Lois on 0407-965-094.
Kingaroy Probus Club Meeting
- The Kingaroy Probus Club will be holding its first Tuesday monthly meeting at the Town Hall Supper Room in Glendon Street, Kingaroy from 9:30am this morning. Meetings generally include guest speakers, entertainments and morning tea and conclude around noon. New members are always welcome. More details? Phone Bob on (07) 4162-5579 or Allan on (07) 4162-1327.
Maidenwell QCWA Meeting
- The Maidenwell branch of the QCWA will be holding their monthly meeting at the Maidenwell Hall Supper Room from 8:45am this morning (when things will kick off with a welcoming cuppa) through until this afternoon. The branch meeting itself will commence at 9:30am and all ladies in the Maidenwell and Bunya Mountains areas are very welcome to come along and meet the other branch members! You can obtain more details by phoning Glenda on (07) 4164 6137 or by emailing her.
Wondai Neighbourhood Watch Meeting
- The Wondai Neighbourhood Watch group will be holding their regular monthly meeting from 7:30pm to about 9:30pm tonight at the Wondai Diggers Club in Mackenzie Street. All local residents are very welcome to attend.
South Burnett Chorale
- The South Burnett Chorale will be holding their regular Tuesday practice night at the Church of Christ Hall at the corner of Haly and Burnett Streets in Kingaroy from 7:00pm to 9:00pm this evening. The Chorale meet every Tuesday night during school terms, and new members are always very welcome! More details? Phone Margie on 0424-924-632.
Indoor Bowls - Wondai
- The Wondai Indoor Bowls Club will be holding its regular Tuesday meeting at the Wondai Town Hall in Mackenzie Street, Wondai at 7:30pm this evening. Three games of 12 ends are played, lasting up to three hours, and playing fees are $3. New members are always welcome and you can find out more details by phoning secretary Christine Rasmussen at Wondai on (07) 4169-0995, Maryanne Pearce at Tingoora on (07) 4169 0776, or Faye Holding at Goomeri on (07) 4168 4494.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Tuesday meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Danny's Diner - Kingaroy
- Danny's Diner - a free community dinner - will be held at the Uniting Church Hall at the corner of Alford and Youngman streets in Kingaroy from 5:30pm to 7:00pm tonight. The dinner is an initiative of the Kingaroy District Ministry Association for the benefit of anyone who's hungry or otherwise doing it tough. While an RSVP isn't essential, it would be appreciated to help plan the catering. You can make one by phoning Lenelle on (07) 4162-8482. You can also read more about Danny's Diner on our website.
Alcoholics Anonymous - Nanango
- Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other to help solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership. A.A. isn't allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organisation or institution. AA meets in Nanango every Tuesday from 5:30pm at the Catholic Church Hall in Alfred Street (next to St Patrick's school). For more information, phone 0427-289-990.
Tuesday, 05 November 2019
Add your event