Vietnam Veterans Day
- Today is Vietnam Veterans Day, which commemorates the service of Australians during the Vietnam War.
It is held annually on the anniversary of the 1966 Battle of Long Tan. Between 1962-72, almost 60,000 Australians served in Vietnam. Tragically, 521 died and about 3000 were wounded. Commemorations today will be held at:
- Kingaroy - At the base of the flagpoles at the Kingaroy RSL Club from 10:30am. Guest speaker will be Carmel O'Brien.
- Cherbourg - From 11:15am in Memorial Park (opposite The Ration Shed complex)
- Blackbutt - From 11:00am at the memorial in Muir Street
Rates Information Session - Kingaroy
- South Burnett Mayor Brett Otto has invited residents to attend a "Rates Information Session" at the Kingaroy Town Hall Reception Room from 5:30pm tonight. No bookings are required. The information session is subject to COVID-19 restrictions.
Under The Bonnet - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy police will be holding a free Under The Bonnet workshop at the Bill Hull Car Centre at the corner of Kingaroy and Avoca Streets, Kingaroy from 5:30pm to around 7:00pm tonight. The workshop will teach guests about personal safety, road safety and basic car maintenance skills, and men and women of all ages who'd like learn how to become a bit handier around their vehicle are encouraged to attend. Canapes and cold drinks will be provided, too, but numbers are limited so an RSVP to help plan the catering would be greatly appreciated. You can make one by phoning Bill Hull Car Centre on (07) 4162-2833 or by emailing them.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Tuesday get-together today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
NaTDA Meeting - Nanango
- The Nanango Tourism & Development Association will be holding its monthly dinner meeting in the Long Hai Room at the Nanango RSL in Henry Street, Nanango at 5:30pm tonight. NaTDA aims to assist, foster, instigate and/or manage any project that could contribute to the advancement of the communities in and around Nanango, and represents the interests of the Nanango community, business and tourism operators. All interested people are very welcome to come along and get involved! Afterwards, the meeting will be followed by an informal, optional social dinner at the RSL's bistro. You can obtain more information by phoning Gloria Kirkness on (07) 4163-2848.
Tuesday Croquet - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Croquet Club will be playing croquet games at the Kingaroy Cricket Club in Youngman Street, Kingaroy (just next to Beangrowers) from 9:00am to around noon this morning. New members are always welcome and a $2 lesson is available if you'd like tuition in the basics (all equipment is supplied). More details? Phone (07) 4164-5574.
Tuesday Night Bingo - Blackbutt
- Bingo games will be held at the Blackbutt Memorial Hall in Bowman Road, Blackbutt from 7:00pm tonight (eyes down at 7:30pm sharp). These weekly bingo nights are a fundraiser for the Blackbutt and District Tourism and Heritage Association and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the BDTHA on 0458-539-821 or send them an email.
South Burnett Pantry - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Pantry will be open from 8:30am to 12:00 noon today at 22 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. The Pantry is a not-for-profit registered charity run by a Board of Management and staffed by volunteers, and it helps low income families, couples and singles stretch their shopping dollar further. The Pantry offers $40 pantry hampers that contain most of the food and personal cleaning items that most people need to get through part of the week (though you'll need to shop elsewhere for extras or special items). And anyone who's finding it hard to make ends meet is very welcome to make use of it. More details? Phone James on 0438-071-658. PS: If you'd like to help The Pantry in any way - either by volunteering or donating goods - please contact James about this too, or visit the website.