- Today is Valentines Day. According to legend the real Valentine was a Roman Christian who lived during the 3rd century A.D. when Emperor Claudius II declared all Christians guilty of treason because they refused to declare "Caesar is Lord!" in public. Valentine was thrown into prison where one of the guards was a good man who'd adopted a blind girl. He asked Valentine if his God could help his daughter, so Valentine prayed and the girl was given her sight. The guard and his whole family (some 46 people) were then baptized. But when the Emperor heard about this he was so furious about Valentine making converts in prison he sentenced him to death. Just before being led out to his execution, though, the young Christian wrote a note to the jailer's daughter and signed it "from your Valentine". Over the centuries this has gradually led Valentines Day to be associated with love and romance. It's also traditionally one of the busiest days of the year for florists - so if you want to arrange flowers for your loved one the best advice is book early!
Army Cadets Open Day - Wondai
- The 135 Army Cadet Unit will be holding an Open Day from 10:00am to 2:00pm today at the 25/49 RQR Army Depot at 86 Bramston Street, Wondai (just past the hospital). Prospective cadets from Kingaroy, Wondai, Proston, Murgon, Goomeri - and places in-between! - are invited to come along. There'll be an opportunity to experience firsthand field craft, first aid and navigation. The 135 ACU Drum Corps will also be recruiting. Army cadets are open to youths (boys and girls) aged from 13 to 17. For more information, phone 0408-623-621 or 0427-327-722. You can also read more about what a previous Open Day was like (and see photos) on our website
Murgon CBD Markets
- The monthly Murgon Markets will be held in Lamb Street in the heart of Murgon from 7:00am until about 12:00 noon today. The markets offer locally-made crafts, foods and produce and are always an interesting Sunday morning out. New stallholders are always welcome too! More details? Phone Richie on 0427-133-408.
Junior Representative Cricket - Murgon
- Games from Round 2 of the Wide Bay Junior Cricket Championships will be contested at Murgon Sportsground from 9:00am today. South Burnett Under 10s, Unders 12s and Under 14s will be taking on sides from Gympie. Spectators welcome!
Kilkivan Railway Markets
- The weekly Kilkivan Railway Markets will be held in Lester Millar Park in Kilkivan from 7:00am until around 12:00 noon this morning. The markets feature an array of locally produced fruit, vegetables and merchandise and new stallholders are always welcome! More details? Stall Bookings? Phone (0407) 772-741 or visit the website.
Sunday Poker - Kingaroy
- Sunday afternoon poker games will be played at Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy today. Registrations start at 2:00pm and play begins at 2:30pm. All games are free to play and there are prizes for first, second and third. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755
Timbertowns Woodworkers - Blackbutt
- The Timbertowns Woodworkers group will be holding their regular Sunday morning meeting at the Blackbutt Showgrounds in Bowman Road, Blackbutt from 8:30am until around 12:00 noon today. New members who are interested in learning woodwork are always welcome and you can obtain more details by phoning Marcia on (07) 4170-0389