southburnett.com.au
What's On In The South Burnett Today?

One Nation Dumps Local Candidate

Filed under Breaking News, Latest News, Media Gallery

Former One Nation candidate Elise Cottam, right, with Senators Malcolm Roberts and Pauline Hanson (Photo: Facebook)

Former One Nation candidate Elise Cottam (Photo: PHON)

February 10, 2017

Would-be politician Elise Cottam has been dumped as the One Nation candidate for Callide at the next State election.

Ms Cottam, from Childers, was disendorsed on Thursday after a deadline passed for her to pay the party $2400 to help cover the costs of the State campaign.

She told southburnett.com.au that she was disappointed with decision but she hoped to continue in politics.

“Maybe another party will come along and have a look,” she said.

Ms Cottam stood for Bundaberg Mayor at the 2016 Local Government elections where she secured 9.93 per cent of first preference votes.

She then stood for One Nation in the seat of Wide Bay at the 2016 Federal Election, capturing 15.6 per cent of the primary vote.

Ms Cottam said she had decided not to pay the $2400 because her son-in-law could do the same work for a fraction of the cost.

“And business cards you can just order them on the internet,” she said.

She is heavily involved with her local SES, and does training and assessment for them … which is all volunteer work.

One Nation campaign director Michael Pucci said Ms Cottam had agreed to pay the fee when she was endorsed in December.

“Unfortunately Ms Cottam chose to not comply with the requirements for documentation and fees she had previously agreed upon; therefore Pauline Hanson’s One Nation (PHON) Queensland State Executive has removed the party’s endorsement for Ms Cottam to stand as PHON candidate,” Mr Pucci said in a statement.

“The party believes in giving everyone a fair go; however, when one does not live up to the standards set and they choose not to follow through on agreements made, the party cannot just stand by and let it happen.”

Ms Cottam is the fourth One Nation candidate to be axed recently.

Bundamba candidate Shan Ju Lin was dumped in early January after making anti-gay posts on Facebook.

Mulgrave candidate Peter Rogers was let go later the same month after a media storm over a post on his website alleging the Port Arthur massacre and the death of a Syrian toddler at sea were hoax news.

The candidate for Currumbin, Andy Semple, withdrew his candidacy in December after refusing to delete a tweet when asked by party officials.


SPONSORED LINKS:
Blackbutt Avocado Festival - click here!Anderssons Fruit Market for quality fruits and vegetables
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN READING...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>