On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 08 September 2018
Nanango Spring Race Meeting
- The Nanango Race Club will be holding their annual Spring Race Meeting at the Lee Park Raceway off the D'Aguilar Highway just south of Nanango from 10:00am to around 5:00pm today. Today's races will have a "50s Spring Florals" fashion theme and everyone is encouraged to dress up in their most stylish outfits and/or accessories to be in the running for some great Moffatdale Ridge Fashions Of The Field spot prizes. The race club's popular [email protected] Bar will be serving up platters all day if you fancy a bite; a licensed bar and BBQ will be operating under the extended covered area; the race club canteen will be open for sit-down dining; and there'll be plenty of bookmakers and an on-course tote available in the betting ring to take your wagers, plus bucketloads of under-cover seating. A lot of people like to use the Spring race meeting for relaxed get-togethers, and you're welcome to picnic on the lawns or even bring your own marquee if you like. This will be a 5 race meeting and free buses will be running to the races from Kingaroy's Glendon Street Bus Depot (12:00 noon) and the rear of Nanango's Fitzroy Hotel at 12:25pm. The first race will leave the barriers around 1:00pm but gates will open at 10:00am so go-getters can get a head start on that all-important socialising. Admission is just $10 for adults and $5 for pensioners (under-15s are free). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Rosemary on (07) 4163-2346 or email her.
Moffatdale Ridge Italian Festival
- Moffatdale Ridge Winery on Barambah Road at Moffatdale will be holding their fourth annual Italian Festival in their grounds and cellar door cafe from 9:30am until dusk today. Popular Italian entertainer Fortunato Isgro will be performing along with sensational opera singers during the course of the day and there'll also be classic Italian car displays in the grounds; bocce games on the lawns; a salami wheel; Italian cooking demonstrations; amazing traditional Italian foods; and dancing and fun for the whole family. The full range of Moffatdale Ridge wines will be available along with premium Italian beers, and admission is just $10 per head. More details? Tickets? Phone Moffatdale Ridge on (07) 4168-4797. The Festival is a guaranteed great day out, and you can read more (and see photos) of what 2016's Italian Festival was like on our website.
Bookarama - Kingaroy
- The Taabinga Rotary Club will be holding the first day of their giant two-day Bookarama at Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy from 9:00am to 4:00pm today. Bookarama offers tens of thousands of books on all subjects at genuine bargain prices, and this year there'll also be an all-day sausage sizzle and raffles too. Proceeds of Bookarama always go to help worthwhile local causes supported by Taabinga Rotary and if you love books, Bookarama is heaven on a stick. Everyone is welcome and admission is free! Note: Bookarama will also run tomorrow from 9:00am to noon.
Men's Saturday Bowls - Yarraman
- The Yarraman Bowls Club in Margaret Street, Yarraman will be holding their weekly Men's Lawn Bowls games from 9:30am this morning. New players are always welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-8269.
Heritage Nanango Country Music Muster
- The 2018 Heritage Nanango Country Music Muster will be held at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street, Nanango from September 6-9, and today the Muster will start at 9:00am with a mammoth Invited Artists Concert that will play right through to 11:00pm tonight. Confirmed artists for this year's Muster are Tom Maxwell, Mary-Ann Benz, the Gottani Sisters, Wayne Horsburgh, Jeff Brown, Terry Gordan, Glenn Jones, Peter Pratt, Graham Rodger, Brian Letton, Justin Standley, Dean Perret and Bev Branson. Admission today is $35, or $20 if you come after 3:00pm (young people aged 14 to 17 can get tickets for half price, and under-14s accompanied by an adult can get in for free). Camping will also be available at the Showgrounds and fees range between $7 and $9 per night for unpowered or powered sites - but a booking for any camp site is essential because the Muster usually packs the Showgrounds to capacity. You can make one and/or get more details about this year's event on the Nanango Show Society's website or by phoning the Show Society on (07) 4163-1273.
Cooyar Debutante Ball
- The annual Cooyar Debutante Ball will be held at Cooyar Hall on the New England Highway at Cooyar from 8:00pm until late tonight. Toowoomba Mayor Paul Antonio will be this year's special guest and Mark's Music will be supplying the entertainment. There'll also be a great supper and licensed bar as well. Tickets are $15 for adults and $5 for high school students, and everyone is welcome.
Inverlaw Hall Annual Ball
- A special dance will be held at Inverlaw Hall on the Burrandowan Road (roughly 20km from Kingaroy) from 7:30pm until late this evening. Come along and celebrate with Dave from Mystique 40 years of playing dance music!There'll also be special guest artists on the night. There'll be the usual great supper as well as heaps of raffles, lucky spot and lucky door prizes and a monte carlo. Admission is $15.00 for adults, $5.00 for high school students and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone June on 0417-623-857 or David on 0459-228-882.
Blackbutt Avocado Festival
- The 2018 Blackbutt Avocado Festival will be held in the area stretching from Blackbutt's CBD down to Blackbutt Showgrounds from 7:00am this morning (with breakfast at the Country Canteen) through until late tonight. Outside the newly relocated Blackbutt Memorial Hall near the Roy Emerson Museum at the end of Hart Street, there'll be Avocado Rolling for big cash prizes, along with Avocado Tossing and Avocado Judging. And inside the hall, there'll be avocado cooking demonstrations by South Burnett Food Ambassador Jason Ford, along with avocado sales, games and demos. Elsewhere, visitors can browse a big range of market stalls or watch woodcutting competitions near the XXXX Gold Woodcutters Bar. The giant Ken Mills Toyota Street Parade will wend its way along the highway at 11:00am, and there'll be live music all day thanks to Meandu Mine. And at 5:00pm in the evening when the market stalls begin to pack up, the festival will conclude with a fun rock and roll dance at the Showgrounds that will run until 8:00pm. All day there'll be lots of activities and stalls to browse, plus displays of antique machinery, cars and all manner of other things. Nearly all Avocado Festival activities are free and the event is designed to be family-friendly. Everyone is welcome!
KSHS Centenary - Kingaroy
- Kingaroy State High School will be celebrating the centenary of secondary education in Kingaroy today with a mass reunion of current and former students and teachers. Registrations will be taken at the school's Indoor Sports Centre from 10:00am this morning, and this will be followed at 2:00pm by the official opening of the Kingaroy Performing Arts Centre, an afternoon tea at 3:00pm and the opening of a time capsule at 3:30pm, with the celebrations concluding at around 5:00pm. Other features of the day will include historical displays and school tours.
Wooroolin Community Markets
- The Wooroolin Community Markets will be held inside the Wooroolin QCWA Rooms on the Bunya Highway at Wooroolin from 6:00am until around 12:00 noon this morning. The markets offer stalls, a sausage sizzle, fresh produce, plants and crafts and are run on the 2nd Saturday of every month except January. Stall fees are just $7.50 and new stallholders are always welcome. More details? Phone Janice on 0439-073-160 or send her an email.
Rugby League Grand Finals - Nanango
- The South Burnett's 2018 rugby league season will wrap up today with the Grand Finals, which will be played at Fred Kassulke Oval off the D'Aguilar Highway south of Nanango's CBD, kicking off at 12:00 noon with the U12s grand final between Murgon and Cherbourg. This will be followed by the U14s match between Chinchilla and Kingaroy at 1:15pm, and then the U16s clash between Nanango and Chinchilla at 2:30pm. After this, the A-grade Grand Final will be played between Nanango's Stags and Kingaroy's Red Ants at 4:00pm in what promises to be an excellent match. A canteen and bar will be operating in the grounds and admission fees apply. Note: Kingaroy's Carrollee Hotel will be running a $20-per-seat bus to the A-grade match for Red Ants supporters. You can book seats by contacting the hotel on (07) 4162-1055.
Misfitz - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnet entertainers Misfitz will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
- The Yarraman Progress Association's Yarraman Markets will be held on the vacant block at the corner of the D'Aguilar and New England Highways in Yarraman from 7:00am until around 12:00 noon today (ie opposite Bendigo Bank). The markets feature trash and treasure stalls, car boot sellers, local produce and hand-made goods, as well as food stalls, and are held on the second Saturday of every month. Everyone is welcome and if you'd like to book a stall yourself - it's only $5! - call Joe on (0459) 638-282
Nanango Soccer Club End Of Year Presentations
- The Nanango Soccer Club (aka the Panthers) will be holding their end of year presentations at the Nanango Skating Rink in George Street, Nanango at 3:00pm this afternoon. The trophy presentations will be followed by nibbles and some disco skating fun. All club members and supporters are welcome.
Woodcrafters 25th Anniversary - Kingaroy
- South Burnett Woodcrafters will be celebrating their 25th anniversary and the opening of their new premises at the old QRail building in King Street, Kingaroy between 9:00am and 3:00pm today. The day will be filled with demonstrations of all aspects of woodworking along with fun activities, food and craft stalls. The Woodies Goodies shop will also be open with woodwork items for sale, and there'll be a special raffle as well (prizes will be drawn December 22). Everyone is welcome, and you can get more details by phoning Dick on 0432-893-050.
The Big Breakout - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets in Kingaroy will be hosting The Big Breakout from 8:30pm until 12:30pm tonight, featuring new local band Voodoo's Curse along with guest spots from Lochie Antoniou, Alex The Frenchman and Dean Watterson. Admission is free and everyone's welcome. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail Community Celebration - Moore
- The Brisbane Valley Rail Trail will be holding a community celebration from 8:00am today to mark the recent completion of the "missing link" between Toogoolawah and Moore which has formed a complete 161km trail from Wulkuraka to Yarraman. Activities will kick off with a Big Brekkie at the Moore Memorial Hall and will be followed by walking, cycling, running and horse-riding along the BVRT from Moore to Toogoolawah, with shuttles bringing participants back to Moore later in the afternoon. You can get all the details about today's activities on Eventbrite.
South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip
- Noosaville's Outbike Australia will be running a South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip for cyclists today. The day trip will pick up participants at Noosa, Noosaville and Gympie and will offer three options: an easy ride from Kingaroy to Murgon (45km sealed); a hard ride from Murgon to Kilkivan (45km unsealed); and an extreme 90km ride from Kingaroy to Kilkivan. Bus fares are $120 return from Noosa, and bikes can be hired for $20 if you don't have your own. South Burnett locals are also welcome to take part, and there's $40 rider and bike transfers from Kilkivan to Kingaroy available if you need help getting back home. More details? Phone Outbike on 0406-440-418.
Saturday, 08 September 2018