On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 07 October 2017
Relay For Life - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett's annual Relay For Life fundraiser will be held on the main oval at the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Steet, Kingaroy from 3:00pm this afternoon right through until 9:00am tomorrow morning. The South Burnett Relay For Life has raised more than $1 million for cancer research in the last decade - an amazing effort - but organisers are hoping to raise another $125,000 this weekend from the overnight walkathon. Spectators are very welcome to come along and cheer the walkers on as they march around the ring (and around... and around again...). The Relay's annual Candlelight Ceremony - held in remembrance of friends and relatives lost to cancer - will be held about 6:30pm this evening. There'll also be food and drink stalls in the grounds if you get hungry or thirsty, plus a disco.
Proston Swimming Pool Open Day
- The Proston Swimming Pool will be holding an Open Day today to welcome in the new swimming season and show off the pool's new shade structures and non-slip tiles in the toddlers pool. There'll be free entry to the complex from 11:00am, along with a $2 sausage sizzle and $7 steak burgers. Everyone is welcome.
Nanango Country Markets
- The Nanango Show Society will be holding their regular monthly Country Markets at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street from 6:00am to around 12:00 noon today. As usual, the markets will feature a wide variety of craft stalls, new and used goods, plants, poultry and pets. The Nanango Markets are the largest rural market in south east Queensland and routinely attract 300 to 400 stallholders. But new stallholders are always very welcome too! More info? Phone the Market Co-Ordinator on (0427) 631-273 during business hours.
Children's Book Week - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Library in Glendon Street will be celebrating Children's Book Week from 10:00am to noon this morning with a Fun Palace, a free nationwide celebration of arts and science held each year in October. Fun Palaces are about making things together, and activities on offer this morning include a Lego Robot, a MaKey MaKey, Spanish lessons for children, painting, drawing, making, doing and a Funolympics. Admission is free and all parents and their children are welcome.
Official Opening Of Blackbutt Memorial Hall
- Blackbutt's Memorial Hall in Bowman Road will be officially opened at 2:00pm this afternoon with a gala concert to celebrate its successful relocation from its former site in Coulson Street to make way for a new supermarket. The concert will feature music by the Blackbutt Singers and sopranos Calista Walters, Linda Hall and Anna Walker; a short play by the Nanango Theatre Company; more music by the Esk Sweethearts In Song and a solo by flautist Sam Kowsulky. The Taromeo Country Music Club will play during the reception, and there'll be a rinbon-cutting ceremony and special door prizes, as well as a historical display by the Blackbutt and District Tourism and Heritage Association showing how Blackbutt has changed over the years. Admission is $10, a bar will be operating and everyone is welcome!
Jazz On The Platform - Yarraman
- The Colours Of Yarraman Festival will be running Jazz On The Platform at the former site of Yarraman Railway Station in Station Park at the end of Millar Street from 2:00pm to around 5:00pm this afternoon. The Greg Bird Band will perform jazz and swing favourites, and there'll be a long table where guests are encouraged to bring a plate to share and a chair to sit on. There'll also be a licensed bar and a raffle. Everyone is welcome and admission is free.
Linville Markets Horse Ride
- Horestrax Oz will be holding a ride from the Moore Church Art Gallery to Linville and return along the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail at 9:30am this morning. The first Saturday is market day in Linville, so riders can potter around the markets before lunching at the Linville Hotel (or BYO), then return. This is an easy 7km ride each way and the cost is $15 to cover insurance. Bookings are essential and payment is required prior to the day via Paypal or EFT. More details? Phone Melanie on 0417-634-981.
Wheatlands State School Comedy Night - Wondai
- Wheatlands State School will be hosting their 4th annual Comedy Night at Wondai Town Hall from 7:00pm until late tonight as a fundraiser. Guests can enjoy three professional comedians from Brisbane along with a bar, light music, hot and cold finger foods and sweets. Tickets are $40 and will be available at the door.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
2 Bob Short - Kingaroy
- Entertainer 2 Bob Short will be performing at the Kingaroy Hotel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Matthew Wild - Blackbutt
- The Scrubby Creek Bar next to the Bunya Nut Cafe in Coulson Street, Blackbutt will be hosting live music with Matthew Wild on guitar from 6:30pm tonight. Everyone is welcome and there's no admission charge.
Saturday Golf - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Golf Club at 51 Langton Road in Blackbutt will be hosting the Tom Harper Memorial Shield - a BBBB event - from 8:50am today. This is a drawn partner game and a registration sheet is available at club house. There'll be heaps of callaway prizes and graded pin shots. More details? Phone the golf club on (07) 4163-0180.
Proston State School Car Wash
- Proston State School P&C will be holding a Car Wash and
Sausage Sizzle outside Proston Rural Supplies in Rodney Street today as a fundraiser. Cost is $10 for cars or $15 for SUVís and utes.
DJ Direx - Kingaroy
- Popular DJ Direx (Michael Monk) will be spinning the platters at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets in Kingaroy from 8:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Dance - Inverlaw Hall
- A dance will be held at Inverlaw Hall on the Burrandowan Road (roughly 20km from Kingaroy) from 8:00pm until late this evening. Music will be supplied by the Joytimes and there'll be the usual great supper and novelties, along with a Lucky Door draw. Admission fees are $10.00 for adults, $5.00 for high school students and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone June on (07) 4162-1195 or David on 0459-228-882.
Beyond Blue At The Palace - Nanango
- A fundraising afternoon for Beyond Blue will be held at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from noon today featuring live music, raffles, an auction and a sausage sizzle. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Melody on 0428-943-835.
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding their Saturday meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Saturday, 07 October 2017