On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 07 September 2019
Moffatdale Ridge Italian Festival
- Moffatdale Ridge Winery on Barambah Road at Moffatdale will be holding their fifth annual Italian Festival in their grounds and cellar door cafe from 9:30am until dusk today. Popular Italian entertainer Fortunato Isgro will be performing along with sensational opera singers during the course of the day and there'll also be classic Italian car displays in the grounds; bocce games on the lawns; a salami wheel; Italian cooking demonstrations; amazing traditional Italian foods; and dancing and fun for the whole family. The full range of Moffatdale Ridge wines will be available along with premium Italian beers, and admission is just $10 per head. More details? Tickets? Phone Moffatdale Ridge on (07) 4168-4797. The Festival is a guaranteed great day out, and you can read more (and see photos) of what 2016's Italian Festival was like on our website.
Nanango Country Markets
- The Nanango Show Society will be holding their regular monthly Country Markets at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street from 6:00am to around 12:00 noon today. As usual, the markets will feature a wide variety of craft stalls, new and used goods, plants, poultry and pets. The Nanango Markets are the largest rural market in south east Queensland and attract up to 420 stallholders. But new stallholders are always very welcome too! More info? Phone the Market Co-Ordinator on (0427) 631-273 during business hours.
RAAF at Wondai
- An RAAF C-27J Spartan transport aircraft will be at Wondai Airport on the Wondai-Proston Road from 9:00am until 1:00pm today. Join No. 35 Squadron members for a barbecue and enjoy an opportunity to inspect the aircraft. A Spartan will also be flying circuits of the airport!
Bookarama - Kingaroy
- The Taabinga Rotary Club will be holding the first day of their giant two-day Bookarama at Kingaroy Town Hall in Glendon Street, Kingaroy from 9:00am to 4:00pm today. Bookarama offers tens of thousands of books on all subjects at genuine bargain prices, and this year there'll also be an all-day sausage sizzle and raffles too. Proceeds of Bookarama always go to help worthwhile local causes supported by Taabinga Rotary and if you love books, Bookarama is heaven on a stick. Everyone is welcome and admission is free! Note: Bookarama will also run tomorrow from 9:00am to noon.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Rugby League Grand Finals - Murgon
- The Grand Finals of the South Burnett's 2019 rugby league competition will be played at Murgon Showgrounds in Macalister Street, Murgon today. The action will kick off with the U12s Grand Final at 12:30pm between Kingaroy's Red Ants and Nanango's Stags. This will be followed by the U14s Grand Final between the Murgon Mustangs and Nanango Stags at 1:40pm. After this, the main game of the day - the A-grade Grand Final between the Murgon Mustangs and Cherbourg Hornets - will be played at 3:00pm. All three games are certain to be hotly contested and each one should be well worth watching for dyed-in-the-wool league fans. A canteen will be operating at the grounds and spectators are very welcome!
Black Coffee - Nanango
- The Nanango Theatre Company will be presenting the debut performance of their latest production "Black Coffee" at the Nanango Playhouse in Elk Street, Nanango at 7:30pm tonight (doors open at 7:00pm). Black Coffee is a three-act murder mystery by Agatha Christie with her famous creation Hercule Poirot as the central character, and audiences can expect a rollicking good show. Tickets are $20 for adults and $15 for concessions, and they can be bought at the Nanango Visitor Information Centre in Henry Street or by phoning (07) 4189-9446. The first two performances of Black Coffee last week were completely sold out but if tonight's is not, some tickets may also be available at the door tonight.
Yarraman Show & Shine And Swap Meet
- The annual Yarraman Show & Shine will be held at the Recreation Grounds in Margaret Street, Yarraman from 8:30am this morning (gates open at 6:30am) until presentations at 1:00pm this afternoon. This year's Show & Shine will have separate categories for Holden, Ford, American, Japanese, British, Hotrod, Ute, Modified and Other cars; American, Japanese, British, Trike and Other motorcycles; along with a special category for a pimped push-bike and a People's Choice Award. There'll also be live music, food stands, drinks stands and market stalls in the grounds, along with a Jumping Castle to keep children amused. Admission is by gold coin donation, and Show & Shine entries or stall sites are just $10. More details? Phone 0429-385-432.
Inverlaw Hall Rainbow Ball
- Inverlaw Hall's annual ball will be held at Inverlaw Hall on the Burrandowan Road (roughly 20km from Kingaroy) from 8:00pm until late this evening. Tonight's Ball will have a "rainbow" theme and it will feature Old Time and New Vogue dancing and music supplied by Mystique. There'll also be the usual great supper and novelties, along with a Lucky Door draw, multiple lucky spot prizes, three raffle draws, and a prize for "King and Queen Of The Rainbow". Admission fees are just $15.00 for adults, $5.00 for high school students and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone June on 0417-623-857 4162-1195 or David on 0459-228-882.
Proston Spring Garage Sale And Auction
- The Proston Men's Shed will be holding a Spring Garage Sale And Auction outside the railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston from 8:00am until around noon this morning as a fundraiser for the shed. There'll be a sausage sizzle, tea, coffee and soft drinks available and market stall operators are welcome to set up for free. The auction will get underway at 10:00am but there'll be plenty of non-auction bargains available as well to browsers and bargain-hunters busy. You can book a stall space by phoning Paul on (07) 4168-9110 and if you have something to auction, phone Geoff on 0439-694-000. Everyone is welcome!
Yarraman P9 Trivia Night
- The annual Yarraman P9 State School Music & Movies Trivia Night will be held at the school's hall in John Street, Yarraman from 6:30pm tonight (play starts at 7:00pm sharp). This popular event is a major fundraiser for the school's P&C and play will take place in teams of 4 to 10 people, who'll competing for $500 in cash prizes thanks to Stanwell. There'll also be a fully stocked bar and hot food available. For extra fun, players are encouraged to dress up as their favourite super-hero, but it's not compulsory and everyone is welcome. More details? Registrations? Phone Linda on 0409-702-013.
Mr Q At The Royal
- Popular South Burnett band Mr Q will be performing in the Bundy Bar at Yarraman's Royal Hotel on the D'Aguilar Highway, Yarraman from 5:00pm until late tonight after the Yarraman Show & Shine wraps up (see entry elsewhere on this page). Tony, Gavin and friends will be delivering their usual sizzling mix of good time party music, there's no admission charge and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4163-8219.
Garage Sale & Sausage Sizzle - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy QCWA will be hosting a Garage Sale & Sausage Sizzle at their rooms in Kingaroy Street (just next to Kingaroy RSL) from 8:00am to noon this morning. There'll be lots of bargains to be had in furniture, crockery, fabrics, craft goods and heaps more, and a great QCWA morning tea will be available as well for a small charge if you get peckish. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Lois on 0407-965-094.
Blackbutt Helping Hands
- Blackbutt's Helping Hands group - who provide emergency food relief and other assistance to those doing it tough - will be open at St John's Anglican Church in Gladys Street, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. More details? Phone Davina on 0409-271-308
Monster Cent Auction - Nanango
- A Monster Cent Auction will be held at Taras Hall next to Nanango RSL in George Street, Nanango from 10:00am (when the doors open) to around 4:00pm today. The auction is a fundraiser for the RSL Sub-branch's Citizens Auxiliary and it will see a massive range of items going under the hammer from noon onwards. Entry is just $5 for adults - which includes a free sheet of tickets, a lucky door ticket and afternoon tea - and $2 for children. One major prize up for grabs today is a $300 cruise on the Brisbane River for a family of five, but there'll be many others. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Robyn on 0400-540-435.
Kilkivan Great Horse Ride
- The second (and main) day of the 3-day Kilkivan Great Horse Ride will be held around Kilkivan today, kicking off at 6:00am with a breakfast, market stalls, trade stalls and many, many other activities at the Kilkivan Showgrounds at 66 Mudlo Road. At 7:00am, participants in the Kurandah Trail 33km all-day ride will leave the Showgrounds, and they'll be followed by riders taking part in the Bular Trail 15km ride at 12:30pm. Riders will return around 4:00pm to 4:30pm for a grand parade along Bligh Street, and in the evening there'll be a Keeping It Country concert at the Showgrounds featuring Ryno & The Wranglers, Laim Brew, Glen Albrecht and Vanessa Sanger that will run until late. Afterwards, overnight camping will be available at the Showgrounds for $10 per adult. Everyone is welcome, and you can get more information on the Kilkivan Great Horse Ride website
Geek And Nerd Party - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy will be holding a Geek and Nerd Party with DJ Heavensent from 7:00pm to 1:00am tonight. The event is a fundraiser for the UGLY bartender competition and there'll be prizes for the best dressed, a VIP bar in the beer garden and a lot more. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380,
Nanango Kindy Golf Day
- Nanango Kindy will be holding their annual Golf Day at the Nanango Golf Club on the D'Aguilar Highway north of the CBD today, with tee-offs at 10:00am. Play will take the form of a 9-hole, 2 person ambrose with a shotgun start and green fees - which include the game, lunch and a soft drink - are $25 per head. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the kindy on (07) 4163-1551 or just turn up this morning.
Luke Medcalf - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett entertainer Luke Medcalf will be performing in the front bar at the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Haly and Youngman Streets, Kingaroy (opposite McDonalds) from 8:00pm until late tonight. Luke was last seen at the Kingaroy Hotel back in June and he always puts on a good show. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
Tucker & Chop - Kingaroy
- South Burnett bluesmen Tucker & Chop will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Open Mic Afternoon At The Palace
- The Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango will be holding an Open Mic Afternoon from 2:00pm to around 6:00pm today, courtesy of Seascape Studios who'll be providing the PA, frontline and drums (just BYO instruments). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Beau at the Palace on (07) 4163-1287
Orienteering Championships - Reedy Creek
- The Queensland Orienteering Long Distance Championships will be held at Minmore Homestead at Reedy Creek near Kingaroy all this weekend. More than 110 adult and junior competitors will be competing in various classes, covering distances ranging from 2400m to 13,200m across 12 different courses. Today's events will get underway at 1:30pm and spectators are welcome. You can read more about this event on our website.
Queensland Road Race Time Trials - Kumbia
- Several roads around Kumbia will be closed today for the Queensland Road Race Time Trials, which will be held in Kumbia between noon and 4:00pm. The Time Trials are part of the Queensland Road Race Championships, which are being held in Kingaroy tomorrow. Hundreds of professional cyclists are taking part in both events, and spectators are welcome to come along and watch the action for free. You can read more about this event (including road closures) on our website.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Seafood & Sax - Murgon
- The Australian Hotel in Lamb Street, Murgon will be holding a Seafood & Sax Night with the South Burnett's very own Sultan of Sax Tom McKenzie from 5:30pm until late tonight. Seafood platters for one or two people will be available, along with the hotel's normal menu. More details from the pub: (07) 4168-1077
RACQ Lifeflight Enduro Colour Ride - Manar
- The inaugural RACQ Lifeflight Enduro Colour Ride will be held at Manar Park in Boondooma this weekend. The event is a fundraiser for RACQ Lifeflight and participants will ride along a course laid out in the park from 7:00am this morning, getting doused with a different colour on each lap. Entry fees are $20 for adults, $5 for children or $30 for a family. There'll also be a sausage sizzle tonight, and the ride will conclude tomorrow.
Saturday, 07 September 2019