On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Friday, 05 October 2018
Art Exhibition Opening - Wondai
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery on the roundabout at Wondai will be opening their latest monthly exhibition with a wine and cheese tasting at 6:00pm tonight. This month the gallery will be hosting the 11th annual Open Art Competition, an acquisitive which will see the South Burnett Regional Council acquire the winning work for a $3000 first prize. Other prizes will be sponsored by Cherbourg Aboriginal Shire Council, Member for Flynn Ken ODowd, Wondai Lions Club, Bendigo Bank, Wondai Regional Art Gallery and the Wondai Country Markets in sections that include Oils
and Acrylics, Watercolours, Pastels, Any Other Medium, Photography, Sculpture & Ceramics and Indigenous Art. There are also sections for Childrens Art. This month's exhibition will be officially opened by South Burnett Mayor Keith Campbell and as usual, tonight's opening will also feature great hot and cold finger foods and punch, along with wine tastings from a local winery, live entertainment and lots of fun socialising. Admission is $5 and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926. Note: After tonight's opening the exhibition will remain on show from 10:00am to 4:00pm daily until the Saturday, October 27.
Maidenwell Folk Gathering
- The first day of the twice-a-year Maidenwell Folk Gathering will be held in and around the historic Maidenwell Hotel in Maidenwell today, kicking off at around 6:00pm and running late into the night. This is an all-acoustic event and a variety of performers will be entertaining on the hotel's balconies and inside rooms. Admission to the Folk Gathering is completely free and musicians are welcome as well as people who just like to listen to music. There's also free overnight camping available in the hotel's grounds. More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4164-6133.
Friday Afternoon Scroungers - Nanango
- The Nanango Bowls Club in Henry Street will be holding their regular Friday Afternoon Scroungers matches at 4:00pm today. A $5 match fee applies and new players are very welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-3363
Kingaroy RSL Bingo
- Bingo games will be running at Kingaroy RSL from 10:00am this morning (eyes down at 10:30am). There'll be four jackpots on offer, along with book games and raffles, and proceeds will go to help local good causes. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
Over 50s Bingo - Proston
- Bingo games will be held at the Community Hall in Rodney Street, Proston from 9:00am this morning, with eyes down at 9:30am. There's a $100 jackpot on offer, and morning tea is available for just $2. Over 50s Bingo is held on the first and third Friday of each month and everyone - including Under 50s - is welcome. More details? Phone Noela on (07) 4168-9296.
Friday Afternoon Social Golf - Proston
- The Proston Golf Club on Brigooda Road, Proston will be holding a Friday afternoon social golf game today. Names need to be in by 2:00pm for a 2:30pm tee-off, and everyone is welcome. More details from the club on (07) 4168-9367.
Cuppa And Chat Group - Kingaroy
- The Cuppa and Chat Group will be holding its weekly meeting at The Biscuit Tin behind St Mary's Church at 15 Albert Street, Kingaroy from 10:00am to around 11:00am this afternoon. As the name suggests, members enjoy a cuppa and biscuits baked in the community kitchen, and simply chat about whatever interests them. More details? Phone Centacare Community Connections on (07) 4162-5439.
Colours Of Yarraman Open Air Movie Night
- The 2018 Colours Of Yarraman Festival will kick off at the Yarraman Recreation Grounds in Margaret Street, Yarraman at 6:30pm with an Open Air Movie Night featuring Daddy's Home 2 (rated PG - screening begins at 7:00pm sharp). Admission is free - just BYO chairs or blankets.
Friday Croquet - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Croquet Club will be playing croquet games on the third green at the rear of the Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 3:00pm this afternoon. New members are always welcome and a $2 lesson is available if you'd like tuition in the basics (all equipment is supplied). More details? Phone (07) 4163-6022.
Blue Light Roller Skating - Nanango
- The Nanango Blue Light Disco committee will be holding their first Friday of the month U18s Blue Light roller skating night at the Nanango Skating Rink in George Street, Nanango from 6:00pm to 8:00pm this evening. There'll be lots of fun plus games and prizes, and a canteen will be operating too. Admission is $5, which includes skate hire, and the event is fully supervised. More details? Phone Nanango Police on (07) 4163-1211 or Peter on 0422-196-219.
Advanced Tai Chi - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Arthritis & Osteoporosis Support Group will be running an advanced Tai Chi class at SBcare at the corner of Avoca and Kingaroy Streets in Kingaroy from 9:00am to 10:00am this morning. The classes aim to help relieve pain and improve quality of life, relieve stress, sharpen concentration, and improve balance, posture and mobility. Class fees are $3 for each attendance plus a $20 fee to Arthritis Queensland for insurance. Everyone is welcome. More details? Phone June 0419-026-760, Jan 0434-891-600 or Antonia 0431-149-816 (Note: these classes run every week during school terms except for public holidays).
QRRRWN Barambah Branch Meeting
- The Barambah branch of the Queensland Rural, Regional and Remote Women's Network will be holding their first Friday of the month meeting today. The branch meets at a different venue each month, starting with smoko at 9:30am before the meeting gets underway at 10:00am. New members and guests are always welcome! More details on the location of this month's meeting? Phone Marg on 0418-689-728 or send her an email.
Mr Q At The Palace
- Popular South Burnett band Mr Q will be performing at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 7:00pm until late tonight - the band's first local gig after their recent tour south of the border. There'll also be raffles and a lucky door prize, and proceeds will go to aid Nanango's Inclusive Park. Everyone is welcome! More details from the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
Friday Chill - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets in Kingaroy will be holding a Friday chill session with Laudy and DJdirex from 7:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Muddy Flats - Murgon
- The South Burnett's favourite Indigenous band Muddy Flats will be performing at the Murgon Services Club in Lamb Street, Murgon from 7:00pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the club on (07) 4168-1819.
Wesleyan Food Hampers - Nanango
- Wesleyan Grace Community Food Hampers will be available at 36 Fitzroy Street, Nanango from 9:00am to 12:00 noon today. Food hampers will be available for $20.
South Burnett Pantry - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Pantry will be open from 8:30am to 12:30pm today at 22 Stolzenberg Road in Kingaroy. The Pantry is a not-for-profit registered charity run by a Board of Management and staffed by volunteers, and it helps low income families, couples and singles stretch their shopping dollar further. The Pantry offers $40 pantry hampers that contain most of the food and personal cleaning items that most people need to get through part of the week (though you'll need to shop elsewhere for extras or special items). And anyone who's finding it hard to make ends meet is very welcome to make use of it. More details? Phone Joan on (0427) 496-684 or Ruth on (0447) 812-789. PS: If you'd like to help The Pantry in any way - either by volunteering or donating goods - please contact Joanne or Ruth about this too, or visit the website.
Friday, 05 October 2018