On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 31 August 2019
102nd Annual Wondai Show
- The main day of the two-day 102nd Wondai Show will run at the Wondai Showgrounds in Baynes Street, Wondai today. Gates will open at the open at 8:00am and judging of dogs, horses, poultry, stud beef and dairy cattle will get underway soon afterwards at 8:30am. The pavilions, working displays, Sideshow Alley and Laser Skirmish will open at 9:00am. Out in the main ring, chainsaw racing will start at 9:30am and judging for the Show & Shine, Truck Show and Ute Show will be running right through until noon. The Show's official opening will take place at 1:00pm, there'll be a St John's School whip-cracking display aty 1:45pm, and then the Grand Parade will run at 2:30pm, followed by a Stihl vs Husqvarana Chainsaw Competition in front of the grandstand at 4:00pm. This will be followed by the Show's pulse-pounding Bull Ride from 6:00pm to 8:30pm, then live music from Amber Goldsmth who'll be performing until late. Admission to today's Show is just $10 for adults, $6 for pensioners and high school students or $2 for primary students, and everyone is welcome.
Eat In The Street - Nanango
- A quirky “eat in the street” dinner will be held in Nanango tonight to launch the town’s new Soundtrail app and mark the end of fundraising for the Butter Factory Park project. The dinner is being organised by NaTDA in Little Drayton Street. Organisers will supply the tables, chairs and entertainment while diners need to bring along their own tablecloths, crockery, cutlery, food and drinks. Cost is $5 a head with funds raised going towards the Butter Factory Park inclusive playground project. Little Drayton Street will be closed from about 5:00pm to allow the tables to be set up, and diners should start arriving at 6:00pm. Bookings can be made at Nanango Real Estate on (07) 4163-1677 or by phoning 0400-631-677.
Ride 4 Relay Barefoot Bowls - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Ride 4 Relay team - who will be riding the full length of the South Burnett again this year to raise funds for Relay For Life - will be holding a Barefoot Bowls Afternoon at the Kingaroy Bowls Club in Youngman Street, Kingaroy from 1:00pm to 4:00pm today as a fundraiser. The cost to participate is $15 per head - which includes bowls and a great afternoon tea - and children 10 or below can take part for free. There'll also be a licensed bar in operation and you can bring along a team of your own or get assigned to one. No prior bowls knowledge is required - just bare feet, feet in socks or soft-soled shoes - and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Jason on 0455-896-749. PS: If required, tutors will be on hand to work new bowlers through the finer points of the game.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Goomeri Twilight Markets
- Goomeri will be holding its quarterly Twilight Markets and Food Vans night from 3:00pm to 8:00pm this evening in Goomeri's Market Square behind Joe's Grand Hotel. The markets feature a range of food vans from Gympie and the Sunshine Coast offering dishes that are usually unavailable locally (unless you cook them yourself) along with market stalls and entertainment, and are run as a fund-raiser for the Goomeri Pumpkin Festival. The previous markets in May attracted close to 1000 people to this family friendly, pet friendly outing, and everyone is welcome!
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Byte Nite - Murgon
- The South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon will be hosting a Byte Nite from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight for Murgon and Cherbourg youngsters. Children can play a range of fun and entertaining games and pursue other amusements for free during the course of the night, as well as get a free meal and a ride home afterwards if they need one, all under the supervision of caring local volunteers. Byte Nite is an initiative of the PCYC and Murgon Business and Development Association to tackle youth crime in the district by giving youngsters something to do on a Saturday night, and anyone who'd like to volunteer to help this community-driven initiaitive in any way should contact Acting Sgt Rene Bond at the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 for more information.
Rugby League Preliminary Finals - Cherbourg
- The Preliminary Finals of the South Burnett's U12s, U14s and A-Grade rugby league sides will be played at Jack O'Chin Oval in Cherbourg this afternoon. The day will kick off with the U12s game between Nanango and Murgon at noon to decide who'll face Kingaroy in next week's U12s Grand Final. This will be followed at 1:15pm with the U14s preliminary final between Murgon and Chinchilla to determine who'll play Nanango in next week's U14s Grand Final; and at 3:00pm, Kingaroy and Cherbourg's A-grade sides will have a battle royal on field to see who'll play Murgon in next week's Grand Final. A canteen will be operating in the grounds, top-flight league action is guaranteed and spectators are very welcome!
South Burnett Soccer Grand Finals - Nanango
- The South Burnett's football season will conclude today with the 2019 Grand Finals being played at Fred Kassulke Oval (the home of the Stags) on the D'Aguilar Highway south of Nanango's CBD. The day will begin with the Women's Division Grand Final between the Barambah Bears and Nanango's Panthers at 4:00pm, and this will be followed by the Men's Division Grand Final between Nanango's Panthers and Kingaroy's Gunners at 6:00pm. Both matches promise to be very hard-fought and exciting games, and a canteen will be running in the grounds as well. Everyone is welcome!
Zone Duo & DJdirex - Kingaroy
- Party band Zone Duo will be performing at the Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 7:30pmto around 9:30pm, tonight, after which DJdirex will be firing up the dance floor until late. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Black Coffee - Nanango
- SOLD OUT: The Nanango Theatre Company will be presenting the second performance of their latest production "Black Coffee" at the Nanango Playhouse in Elk Street, Nanango at 3:00pm this afternoon (doors open at 2:30pm). Black Coffee is a three-act murder mystery by Agatha Christie with her famous creation Hercule Poirot as the central character, and audiences can expect a rollicking good show. Tickets are $20 for adults and $15 for concessions, and they can be bought at the Nanango Visitor Information Centre in Henry Street or by phoning (07) 4189-9446. If not already sold out, some may also be available at the door tonight. Note: Two further performances will be held at the Playhouse next Friday and Saturday night at 7:30pm (doors open at 7:00pm).
Mr Q Live At The Palace - Nanango
- Following Nanango's Eat In The Street get-together (see entry further above), the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango will be hosting popular South Burnett band Mr Q from 8:30pm until late tonight to toast the successful end of the year-long fundraising drive for the Butter Factory all-inclusive park. Everyone who'd like to party on is very welcome and there's no admission charge. More details? Phone Beau at the Palace on (07) 4163-1287.
Sausage Sizzle & Fathers Day Raffle - Nanango
- The EWast NManango RFiural Fire Brigade will be running a sausage sizzle and Fathers Day raffle outside Nanango's IGA in Fitzroy Street this morning.
Pig On A Spit Night - Maidenwell
- Maidenwell's historic Maidenwell Hotel will be holding its monthly Pig On A Spit evening from 6:00pm until late tonight (dinner is served from 6:00pm to 8:00pm). There'll be live entertainment and lots of cold beer, along with more pork than you can poke a fork at, all served up with with roast potatoes, pumpkin, corn, peas, carrots, applesauce and gravy for $17 per plate! The hotel also has roast beef and spit roasted chicken on the menu for those who prefer to go non-pork, plus a vegetarian option (ie vegies only), along with five Little Butcher meat tray raffles to raise funds for Tanduringie State School. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the pub on (07) 4164-6133.
Yarraman Horse Ride
- A 25km Yarraman Horse Ride will depart from the Yarraman Showgrounds on the New England Highway at 8:30am this morning for a guided ride around the Yarraman district. Riders need to BYO horse(s) and tack, and ride fees are $35 for adults, $25 for children or $100 for a family (2 adults 2 children). The Ride will be preceded by a pre-ride talk at 7:30am, and a BBQ lunch and drinks will be on sale during the ride. Tonight there'll be a $20 per person spit roast dinner available, along with a bar and live music. Free on-site camping is also available on Friday and Saturday nights. More details? Phone Sharyn on 0429-042-575 or text Hayley on 0409-617-203.
Seafood & Sax - Murgon
- The Australian Hotel in Lamb Street, Murgon will be holding a Seafood & Sax Night with the South Burnett's very own Sultan of Sax Tom McKenzie from 5:30pm until late tonight. Seafood platters for one or two people will be available, along with the hotel's normal menu. More details from the pub: (07) 4168-1077
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Blackbutt Helping Hands
- Blackbutt's Helping Hands group - who provide emergency food relief and other assistance to those doing it tough - will be open at St John's Anglican Church in Gladys Street, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. More details? Phone Davina on 0409-271-308
Saturday, 31 August 2019