On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 03 August 2019
Nanango Cup Race Meeting
- The Nanango Race Club will be holding their annual Nanango Cup Race Meeting at the Lee Park Raceway off the D'Aguilar Highway just south of Nanango from 11:00am to around 5:00pm today. Today's races will have a "Classic Black and White" fashion theme and everyone is encouraged to dress up in their most stylish outfits and/or accessories to be in the running for some great Moffatdale Ridge Fashions Of The Field spot prizes. The race club's popular Champagne@TheBit Bar will be serving up platters all day if you fancy a bite; a licensed bar and BBQ will be operating under the extended covered area; the race club canteen will be open for sit-down dining; and there'll be plenty of bookmakers and an on-course tote available in the betting ring to take your wagers. This meeting patrons can also enjoy two mini-grandstands that will be erected on the grounds - but if it rains there's heaps of undercover seating too! A lot of people like to use the Nanango Cup race meeting for relaxed get-togethers and you're welcome to picnic on the lawns or even bring your own marquee if you like. This will be a 6 race meeting and buses will be running to the races from Kingaroy's Glendon Street Bus Depot (12:00 noon) and Nanango's Fitzroy Hotel at 12:30pm. The first race will leave the barriers around 12:45pm but gates will open at 11:00am so go-getters can get a head start on that all-important socialising. Admission is just $10 for adults and $5 for pensioners (under-15s are free). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Rosemary on (07) 4163-2346 or email her.
Jungle Boogie Trivia Night - Kingaroy
- St Mary's Catholic College in Kent Street, Kingaroy will be holding a Jungle Boogie Trivia Night in the college's Maryknoll Centre from 6:30pm to 11:30pm this evening. Guests should bring a platter to share at their table - cold beverages will be sold through a bar and cellar door that will be set up on the premises. Playing fees are $80 per table (6 to 8 team members) and minimum contestant age is 18 years, but everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the college office on (07) 4160-0900. You can also read more about what St Mary's last trivia night was like on our website.
Dance - Inverlaw Hall
- A dance will be held at Inverlaw Hall on the Burrandowan Road (roughly 20km from Kingaroy) from 8:00pm until late this evening. Music will be supplied by Top Tunes and there'll be the usual great supper and novelties, along with a Lucky Door draw. Admission fees are $10.00 for adults, $5.00 for high school students and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone June on (07) 4162-1195 or David on 0459-228-882.
Nanango Country Markets
- The Nanango Show Society will be holding their regular monthly Country Markets at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street from 6:00am to around 12:00 noon today. As usual, the markets will feature a wide variety of craft stalls, new and used goods, plants, poultry and pets. The Nanango Markets are the largest rural market in south east Queensland and attract up to 420 stallholders. But new stallholders are always very welcome too! More info? Phone the Market Co-Ordinator on (0427) 631-273 during business hours.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
- The Proston Car Rally Club will be holding their quarterly CAMS Khanacross Multiclub Rally at their racing track this weekend (the club's track is located 7.5km west of Proston on the Proston-Boondooma Road). Racing will commence around 11:00am this morning and there'll also be burnouts from around 5:30pm, with racing wrapping up around 2:00pm tomorrow afternoon. Up to 50 cars attend Proston Rally Club meetings from all over Queensland and NSW and spectators are very welcome. There'll be a BBQ and soft drinks stand running throughout the event, as well as a hearty breakfast supplied by the Proston Lions club early on Sunday morning. Hot showers, toilets and free camping are available on site too. Admission to the Rally is 100% free for spectators, $50 for adult participants and $25 for juniors. More details? Phone 0458-689-446.
Scots Interest Group - Nanango
- The Scots Interest Group - which celebrates all aspects of Scottish life - will be holding its monthly meeting at Nanango RSL in George Street, Nanango at 3:00pm this afternoon, followed by an optional dinner in the evening for those who want to stay on. The group is a relaxed social get-together for those who are Scottish or of Scots descent (as well as those who wish they were) and it meets at different venues each month. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Lynnsay on 0428-960-480.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
The Sound Of Music - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Musical Comedy Society's production of the all-time classic "The Sound Of Music" will be having its fifth performance at the Kingaroy Performing Arts Centre at the end of Markwell Street, Kingaroy at 7:00pm tonight. The Sound Of Music began in 1959 as a stage musical composed by Rodgers and Hammerstein, and become internationally famous when it was converted into a movie in 1965 starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, winning five Academy Awards (including Best Picture and Best Director) and becoming the highest grossing film of all time for the next five years. Tickets to tonight's performance are $25 for adults, $20 for pensioners and students (under 4s are free) or $100 for a family of 2 adults and 3 children, and can be booked online. One final matinee performance will be held at 2:00pm tomorrow.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Natalie Fenton At Nanango RSL
- Looking for some great post-Nanango Cup entertainment? The Nanango RSL in Henry Street will be hosting popular local performer Natalie Fenton this evening after the annual Nanango Cup Race Meeting at Lee Park winds down (see entry at the top of this page), and there'll also be prizes for those who dress in the Nanango Cup's "Classic Black & White" fashion theme. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the RSL on (07) 4163-1375.
Open Mic Afternoon At The Palace
- The Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango will be holding an Open Mic Afternoon from 2:00pm to around 6:00pm today, courtesy of Seascape Studios who'll be providing the PA, frontline and drums (just BYO instruments). Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Beau at the Palace on (07) 4163-1287
Saturday Rugby League - Cherbourg and Nanango
- League fans in search of A-grade action should go to Jack O'Chin Oval in Cherbourg today, where the Cherbourg Hornets will be playing the Wondai Wolves at home. The day will start with U6s/U8s at 8:00am, then U10s at noon and U12s at 1:00pm before the A-Grade clash between the Hornets and Wolves at 2:00pm, followed by an U18s match between the South Burnett Eagles and South Toowoomba at 4:00pm. Meanwhile, junior footy fans should head to Fred Kassulke Oval on the D'Aguilar Highway at Nanango, where Nanango, Kingaroy and Murgon juniors will be battling it out. The day will kick off with U6s/U8s at 8:00am, then U7s/U9s at 9:00am, and then an U16s match between Murgon and Dalby at 10:00am. After this, U12s will play at 11:00am; U10s at noon; U11s at 1:00pm and U14s at 2:00pm. A canteen will be running at both venues and spectators are very welcome.
Blackbutt Helping Hands
- Blackbutt's Helping Hands group - who provide emergency food relief and other assistance to those doing it tough - will be open at St John's Anglican Church in Gladys Street, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. More details? Phone Davina on 0409-271-308
Tyson Clancy-Jones & DJ Ty - Kingaroy
- South Burnett entertainer Tyson Clancy-Jones will be performing in the front bar of the Kingaroy Hotel-Motel at the corner of Youngman and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until 10:00pm tonight, followed by DJ Ty who'll be spinning the platters until late. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1677.
The Stray Dogs - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Haly and Glendon Streets in Kingaroy will be hosting party band The Stray Dogs from 8:30pm until late tonight, and they'll be fronted by knockout local singer Sonia McMahon. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Saturday AFL - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Saints women's team will be playing competition leaders University at Lyle Vidler Oval next to Beangrowers in Youngman Street, Kingaroy at 12:30pm today. Spectators and supporters are encouraged to attend. This week, the Saints men's side have a bye.
K4K Movie Night - Kingaroy
- Karate For Kids will be holding a family-friendly movie night at their centre at 11/26 Pound St, Kingaroy from 5:30pm tonight (screening starts at 5:45pm). For a gold coin donation, guests can enjoy the popular animated movie "How To Train Your Dragon III". Popcorn, chocolates and drinks will be available for purchase and everyone is welcome - just BYO pillows, seating etc.
Smooth & Groove - Kingaroy
- Evergreen entertainers Smooth & Groove will be performing at Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:30pm until around 11:30pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
South Burnett Rail Trail Weekend Ride
- The Toowoomba Region Bicycle Users Group will be riding the South Burnett Rail Trail between Kingaroy and Murgon this weekend, starting from Wondai at 1:00pm. More details? Email the Secretary.
Saturday, 03 August 2019