On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 28 September 2019
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts for early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning Joan Spicer on 0456-999-928.
Murgon Country Fair
- Looking for some inexpensive school holiday fun? The Queensland Dairy and Heritage Museum will be hosting its inaugural Murgon Country Fair in the Museum's grounds at 2 Sommerville Street, Murgon, from 9:00am to 3:00pm today. The event is the Museum's major annual fundraiser and it will feature market stalls, food stalls, Devonshire Tea in The Barn, demonstrations and more, along with lots of fun activities and amusements for children. In addition, all the Museum's buildings and displays will be open all day. Admission is just $5 for adults (children are free) and everyone is welcome. More details? Phone the Museum on 0429-983-264. PS: Intending stallholders should phone Felicity on 0400-050-794.
Wondai Spring Garden Expo
- The first day of the weekend long Wondai Spring Garden Expo will be held at the Wondai Sports Grounds off the Bunya Highway just north of Wondai's CBD from 8:00am to 4:30pm today. The Expo is one of the largest gardening shows of its type in south-east Queensland and always draws hundreds of keen gardeners every September. As well as a huge range of plant and garden-related product displays, the Expo will also feature a number of well-informed guest speakers talking on a variety of gardening topics throughout the day. Guests can also get to enjoy a Flower Show and live music. There'll be plenty of food and drink outlets dotted around the grounds, too. Admission is $5 per day (young people under 15 can get in for free) and you can get more details and/or book a stand of your own on the Garden Expo's website or by phoning Helen on (07) 4168-9297.
Nanango Kennel Club September Show
- The Nanango Kennel Club will be holding their annual September Dog Show at the Nanango Showgrounds in Cairns Street, Nanango from 8:30am to late this afternoon. This huge show usually attracts 300 to 400 magnificent pedigree purebred dogs of all shapes and sizes, and if you're a fan of four-legged friends it's a must-see. Beautiful dogs will be competing (along with their owners) with the ultimate aim of winning Best In Show, and many rare and unusual breeds will be present as well. Overnight camping is available in the grounds (the Show concludes around 11:30am tomorrow morning) and admission is 100% free for spectators. Everyone is welcome! More details? Contact the Nanango Kennel Club on their Facebook page.
Nanango Mini Market
- The Nanango Mini Market, which runs on the 4th Saturday of each month (except January) outside the Churchyard Opp Shop at the corner of Drayton and Burnett Streets in Nanango, will be running from 7:00am to around noon this morning. Apart from offering great bargains at great prices, the markets also have a $2 sausage sizzle, $1 soft drinks and gold coin donation tea and coffee if you get peckish. New stallholders are also very welcome, with stall fees starting at just $5. More details? Phone Sue on 0419-319-981.
Kingaroy Bowls Club Bingo
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Moonlight Cinema - Proston
- The Proston Men's Shed will be hosting a free outdoor movie night at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston from 5:30pm onwards this evening. Tonight's feature movie - which will screen at 6:30pm - is the PG-rated Australian classic Storm Boy, which tells the heart-warming story of a lonely boy living in a coastal wilderness with his reclusive father. In search of friendship, he encounters an Indigenous man and the two form a bond to care for orphaned pelicans. There'll also be a sausage sizzle running, and popcorn and hot and cold drinks available for purchase. Guests should BYO chairs or blankets, and everyone is welcome! More details? Phone Kathy Crane on 0407-091-019.
Pig On A Spit Night - Maidenwell
- Maidenwell's historic Maidenwell Hotel will be holding its monthly Pig On A Spit evening from 6:00pm until late tonight (dinner is served from 6:00pm to 8:00pm). There'll be live entertainment from Arthur Nettelfield and lots of cold beer, along with more pork than you can poke a fork at, all served up with with roast potatoes, pumpkin, corn, peas, carrots, applesauce and gravy for $17 per plate! The hotel also has roast beef and spit roasted chicken on the menu for those who prefer to go non-pork, plus a vegetarian option (ie vegies only), along with five Little Butcher meat tray raffles to raise funds for Tanduringie State School. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the pub on (07) 4164-6133.
Byte Nite - Murgon
- The South Burnett PCYC in Macalister Street, Murgon will be hosting a Byte Nite from 7:00pm to around 11:00pm tonight for Murgon and Cherbourg youngsters. Children can play a range of fun and entertaining games and pursue other amusements for free during the course of the night, as well as get a free meal and a ride home afterwards if they need one, all under the supervision of caring local volunteers. Byte Nite is an initiative of the PCYC and Murgon Business and Development Association to tackle youth crime in the district by giving youngsters something to do on a Saturday night, and anyone who'd like to volunteer to help this community-driven initiative in any way should contact Sgt Rene Bond at the PCYC on (07) 4168-1889 for more information.
Saturday Morning Tennis - Blackbutt
- The Blackbutt Tennis Club in Hart Street, Blackbutt (just up the road from the Radnor Hotel) will be running social tennis games from 8:00am this morning. New players are always welcome.
Matty Jaye Vs DJdirex High School Reunion - Kingaroy
- The Commercial Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy will be hosting a high school reunion between old friends Matty Jaye and DJdirex from 9:00pm to around 1:00am tonight. The Matty Jaye and DJdirex double act goes back to the late 1990s when it powered up the Brisbane's hottest pubs and clubs, and tonight's reunion is a rare chance to see these beat masters in action. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Jonathan Mark Hayden - Nanango
- Entertainer Jonathan Mark Hayden will be performing at the Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango from 7:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details? Phone Beau at the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
Fire Station Open Days - Blackbutt and Wondai
- If you've ever wondered what the inside of a fire station looks like, the Blackbutt Fire Station at 72 Hart Street and the Wondai Fire Station at 82 McKenzie Street will be holding an Open Day from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. Visitors will be able to meet local firies and thank them for their efforts, as well as learn how to prepare a Bushfire Survival plan if they don't already have one. Everyone is welcome along.
Proston Men's Shed
- The Proston Men's Shed will be meeting at the old railway station building at Railway Park in Rodney Street, Proston for its regular Saturday morning meeting today, kicking off with a cuppa at 9:00am. The meeting will run until around noon, and new members are always welcome. More details? Phone Geoff on 0439-694-000.
Animal Foster Carer Training Day - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy RSPCA will be holding a training day for animal foster carers at their compound on Warren Truss Drive next to Kingaroy Airport from 10:00am to around noon this morning. More details? Phone the RSPCA on (07) 4162-5501.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Blackbutt Helping Hands
- Blackbutt's Helping Hands group - who provide emergency food relief and other assistance to those doing it tough - will be open at St John's Anglican Church in Gladys Street, Blackbutt from 9:00am to 11:00am this morning. More details? Phone Davina on 0409-271-308
Saturday, 28 September 2019