On In The South Burnett
The South Burnett's live regional
daily events calendar!
As heard on K-FM 96.3 and 87.5, AllFM-88 and Crow-FM 90.7
Saturday, 28 July 2018
Dinner With The Captains - Kingaroy
- The 2018 Dinner With The Captains - a major annual fundraiser for the South Burnett's Relay For Life effort - will be held at Kingaroy Town Hall from 5:30pm this evening (for a 6:00pm start). This year's dinner has been sponsored by the Tarong Power Stations, Stanwell Corporation, Downer EDI, TAFE South West and the Telstra Store Kingaroy, and this year's special guests will be Australian sporting legends Mark Ella, Lisa Forrest and Ian Healy. There'll also be an auction of great sporting memorabilia during the evening, along with a big silent auction. Tickets for this licensed semi-formal event - which includes a gourmet three-course dinner - are $90 per head or $900 per table of 10. They can be booked by phoning 4169-0700. A free courtesy bus will also be running from Murgon.
- The moon will undergo a five-hour partial - and then total - eclipse early this morning. Night owls or early risers will be able to view it between 3:14am (when the eclipse cycle begins) and 7:13am (when it ends). At the peak of the eclipse - at 5:30am - the moon will appear to be red because it will be reflecting sunrises and sunsets on the Earth, producing a rarely-seen effect known as a Blood Moon. An earlier Blood Moon in late January this year was obscured by a bank of clouds across the South Burnett, so if you missed it this morning's eclipse will provide a second chance to see what one looks like.
Men's Saturday Bowls - Yarraman
- The Yarraman Bowls Club in Margaret Street, Yarraman will be holding their weekly Men's Lawn Bowls games from 9:30am this morning. New players are always welcome. More details from the club: (07) 4163-8269.
South Burnett Natural History Association
- The South Burnett Natural History Association will be holding a walk through the Mudlo National Park north of Kilkivan today. Walkers should meet up at the park opposite the Kilkivan Hotel in Bligh Street at 9:30am and should BYO breakfast, lunch, drinks and binocular. Everyone is welcome, but to help plan the transport an RSVP to Harry on 0498-081-181 or (07) 4162-1664 would be greatly appreciated.
Christmas In July Smorgasbord - Wondai
- Dimities Cottage in Haly Street, Wondai (opposite the Art Gallery) will be holding an all-you-can-eat BYO Christmas In July Smorgasbord from 6:30pm tonight. Tickets are $30 per head and a booking is highly advisable: (07) 4168-5744.
Wondai Country Markets
- The Wondai Regional Art Gallery's popular monthly Wondai Country Markets will be operating at Coronation Park in Wondai's CBD from 7:00am to 12:00 noon today. Today's markets will feature stallholders selling fresh fruit and vegetables, arts and crafts, useful knick-knacks and clothing. There'll also be live entertainment; lots and lots of other stalls selling great gifts and goodies; and special hand-made treasures from local artisans available from the Gallery's new "Studio" building just a short stroll across the park. The BBQs will also be firing up from 6:45am to dish out hearty breakfasts for early bargain hunters. New stallholders are always very welcome (stall fees range from $10 with power and water available, if needed) and you can obtain more details by phoning the Gallery on (07) 4168-5926
or by emailing them
Christmas In July - Nanango
- A Christmas In July Dinner will be held at historic Ringsfield House at 41-45 Alfred Street, Nanango from 2:00pm this afternoon. For $70 per head (or $30 for children aged 5-12) guests can get to enjoy canapés around the fireplace before indulging in a sumptuous 3 course meal before finishing off with tea, coffee and traditional Christmas treats. There'll be two sittings available - early afternoon and early evening - and bookings are essential: (07) 4163-3345.
LRTMC Motorcycle Rally - Tingoora
- The Leisure Riders Touring Motorcycle Club from Brisbane will be holding the second day of their "Back To Basics" three day motorcycle rally just off the highway on the Tingoora-Chelmsford Road at Tingoora today. The rally features limited catered food, no bar facilities, no power, no caravans (bikes only), a gymkhana and live music, all for $20 per head. Local rally enthusiasts are welcome to join in.
- The Wondai parkrun group will be holding their weekly 5km timed run at Coronation Park in Wondai at 7:00am this morning. Runners follow a course along the South Burnett Rail Trail and the parkrun group is free to join. All you need to do is register (once) online at parkrun.com.au and bring the printed barcode to any parkrun event. More details? Send an email.
Robert Early - Kingaroy
- Country entertainer Robert Early will be performing at the Kingaroy RSL in Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 7:00pm until 11:00pm tonight. Admission is free. More details from the RSL on (07) 4162-1755.
QRRRWN Movie Night - Kingaroy
- The Queensland Rural, Regional and Remote Women's Network (Barambah Branch) will be holding a movie night at Kingaroy's Satellite Cinema in Short Street from 5:00pm this evening as a fundraiser. For $20 a head, guests can get to enjoy a glass of bubbly and a grazing table before a 6:00pm screening of Mamma Mia. Tickets need to be booked and paid in advance, and you can do this by making a direct deposit to the branch's account (BSB 034625 ACCT: 138515 REF: Movie - Surname)
Bowls Club Bingo - Kingaroy
- The Kingaroy Bowls Club at 141 Youngman St, Kingaroy will be running bingo matches from 7:30pm this evening with over $1000 in prizes on offer. More details from the club on (07) 4162-1404
Jazz In July - Nanango
- The Palace Hotel in Drayton Street, Nanango will be hosting a "Jazz In July" concert in the hotel's ballroom from 7:00pm until around 10:00pm tonight. For $20 guests can enjoy a great night's entertainment, and food will be available from Nanango Junction at the front of the building. Everyone is welcome! More details? Phone the hotel on (07) 4163-1287.
Murgon Men's Shed
- The Murgon Men's Shed will be holding a meeting at their shed in Macalister Street, Murgon (the former Murgon Railway Station) today. The Men's Shed meets every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to work on projects and new members are always welcome.
Red Mile Muster - Blackbutt
- Sled Dog Racing Queensland will be holding their annual Red Mile Muster - a series of sled dog races across a number of different classes - in the Benarkin forestry from 5:00am today. Sledders and their dogs will be camping 4km away at the Blackbutt Showgrounds over the weekend, and anyone with an interest in this unusual sport is welcome to come watch the races, or meet up with club members at the Showgrounds after they're all over.
Saturday Golf - Nanango
- The Nanango Golf Club on the D'Aguilar Highway north of the CBD will be holding their Drummond Golf 2 Person Ambrose today, with a 10:30am tee-off time. All golfers are welcome! More details from the club on (07) 4163-1463.
South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip
- Noosaville's Outbike Australia will be running a South Burnett Rail Trail Day Trip for cyclists today. The day trip will pick up participants at Noosa, Noosaville and Gympie and will offer three options: an easy ride from Kingaroy to Murgon (45km sealed); a hard ride from Murgon to Kilkivan (45km unsealed); and an extreme 90km ride from Kingaroy to Kilkivan. Bus fares are $120 return from Noosa, and bikes can be hired for $20 if you don't have your own. South Burnett locals are also welcome to take part, and there's $40 rider and bike transfers from Kilkivan to Kingaroy available if you need help getting back home. More details? Phone Outbike on 0406-440-418.
Kingaroy Speedway Daylight Machinery Day
- The Kingaroy Speedway will be holding a Daylight Machinery Day at the Kingaroy Showgrounds in Youngman Street from 10:30am this morning to help drivers prepare for the upcoming season, the club's 50th year of operation. Forms for the 2018-19 season - which will start on September 22 - will also be available.
South Burnett Shed Men - Kingaroy
- The South Burnett Shed Men will be holding their 57th meeting at the Stihl Shop at 11 Markwell Street, Kingaroy from 4:00pm to 7:00pm this afternoon. Owner Darryl Hansen will be speaking about his family business history and Stihl products, as well as displaying his collection of antique chainsaws. He'll be followed by special guest Peter Stiecke from Adelaide, a dynamic speaker and author who'll focus on life issues that concern men as well as sharing his own life-changing experience. All men and young blokes are very welcome along, but they should BYO food and drinks, tea and coffee (a BBQ will be supplied and cooks will be available). There'll also be a donation box to help cover costs and support a suggested charity. Everyone is welcome but to help plan the seating an RSVP would be greatly appreciated. You can make one by phoning Lester on 0409-621-833 or Don on (07) 4162-7130.
Saturday Soccer - Nanango and Kingaroy
- The 14th round of this year's local football competition will be played in Nanango and Kingaroy today. In Nanango, home team Panthers will play Wests at the Burnett Street sports fields, with the Women's Division hitting the park at 1:00pm, followed by the Men's Division at 3:00pm. And in Kingaroy, home teams Gunners and the Barambah Bears will battle it out at Tom Alford Oval at the end of Oliver Bond Street, with the Women's Division sides playing at 2:00pm and the Men's Division playing at 4:00pm. These two games will be followed by a Toowoomba Football League match at 6:00pm between South Burnett United and the Rockville Rovers which should provide some thrilling, top-flight action. A canteen will be running at both venues and spectators are very welcome. Meanwhile, junior soccer games will be played at the Wondai soccer fields north of the Wondai Sportsgrounds this morning for the first time this season.
Saturday Rugby League - Wondai
- Rugby League fans should head to Wondai today, where the Wolves will play Nanango's Stags in junior games at the Wondai Sportsgrounds on the Bunya Highway north of the CBD, with U6s at 10:30am; U8s at 11:30am; U10s at 12:30pm; U12s at 1:30pm; and U14s at 2:30pm. This will be followed with an A-grade clash between the Wolves and Cherbourg's Hornets at 3:30pm. A canteen will be operating in the grounds and spectators are very welcome.
Mr Q & The Bourbon Boys - Kingaroy
- Popular South Burnett band Mr Q will be jamming with The Bourbon Boys at the Commercial; Hotel at the corner of Glendon and Haly Streets, Kingaroy from 8:30pm until late tonight. Admission is free. More details from the hotel on (07) 4162-1380.
Pizza Night For Magoo - Coolabunia
- The Whipbird Cafe in Chaseling Street, Coolabunia will be holding a Pizza Night this evening as a fundraiser for a Whipbird customer whose much-loved pet dog Magoo (pictured) needs some expensive veterinary care. $20 will give visitors full access to the Cafe's "Pizza Bar", featuring fresh home-made pizzas crafted from scratch in Whipbird's kitchen (the pizza bar will be open from 6:00pm to 7:00pm). Drinks will also be available on the night, so no BYO! Bookings are essential, though, and can be made by messaging this page.
Dan Vogler - Nanango
- Gospel country performer Dan Vogler will be appearing in concert at the Nanango Cultural Centre in George Street, Nanango at 6:30pm tonight as a fundraiser for local school chaplaincies. The concert is being sponsored by the Uniting Church and admission is by donation. Everyone is welcome.
Saturday, 28 July 2018